Official GIGABYTE Forum

Microphone not working on GA-880GMA-UD2H - connected via HDMI to TV

Kenshiro

Dear Forum,

I´m really not sure if I should post this here, or rather in a HTPC or sound forum, but given that the issue I´m having is most probably related to my motherboard and the HDMI output, I will give it a try. 

This mobo has found its place in a htpc, I´m using it mainly for two things, watching movies /series in HD and gaming.
The graphic card used on it is a Nvidia msi 560 ti , I got the sound connected via HDMI cable to a LG flat TV, so far so good.   
I have absolutely no issue with the sound, I can listen perfectly to movies, games, music with and without headphones.

But, the microphone through Front Panel & Back Panel is not working… I can´t use Skype, Teamspeak or simply the Steam inbuilt speak function. 
The microphone (it´s a headseat) works perfectly on my wife`s laptop and I can make my skype calls with it, so the mic works…but just not on my build.
I´ve tried many things, changing sound devices, updating driver (did that yesterday), but still, even when I install the newest realtek sound driver, the default device it picks is the Nvidia High Definition device, which makes somehow sense, since sound and image are filtered through the msi 560 ti.

Screenshots:

-   First one is for the  “Playback Devices”, 4 are visible, “Speakers” is active since I did the screenshot while I the headset was plugged in.

-   Second one is a screenie of the “Recording” device, where the Microphone is correctly picked, well it should, and is displayed as “Realtek High Definition Audio”.

Checking the Manual of the  GA-880GMA-UD2H..
 I can read on page 20 the following 2 paragraphs:

•   After installing the HDMI device, make sure the default device for sound playback is the HDMI device. (The item name may differ by operating system. The following screen is from Win¬dows Vista.
•   Please note the HDMI audio output only supports AC3, DTS and 2-channel-LPCM formats. (AC3 and DTS require the use of an external decoder for decoding.)  In Windows Vista, select Start>Control Panel>Sound, select Realtek HDMI Output and then click Set Default.

Well, I do not have a Realtek HDMI Output device, I only see Realtek Digital Output & Realtek Digital Output (Optical). 

I don´t know what else to look for. 
What can I do to enable my mic on my mobo ?  Maybe I need to enable hdmi as well in Bios …but I could not find anything there neither….

I ran out of ideas on how to tackle this problem.
I don´t know if this is a general behaviour with microphone if a HDMI cable is involved…

Thank you again for reading me and apologies for the long post.
As I said, mabye I should have posted this in another forum, but well, maybe your knowledge and expertise can guide me to the proper direction.

Kind regards,
Ken
If you are not now - you never were...

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
Re: Microphone not working on GA-880GMA-UD2H - connected via HDMI to TV
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 10:21:26 pm »
You need to use a switch in the Realtek Panel for the front panel connectors to work as they do not seem to auto-detect.If you have the Realtek driver installed take a look in the control panel in all options ,can t remember exactly the option name.

Nothing to do with HDMI settings side.

LE:I have a suggestion ,why use such a hungry system for HTPC.Get a FM 2 board with some APU.I have a FM2 with A75 chipset and a 5300 APU and it runs movies and everything i throw at it.Strange hardware config for HTPC in my opinion. :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:26:50 pm by Vezina »
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

Kenshiro

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 10:46:38 pm »
Thanks for the reply Vezina,
Well, when I plug in both connectors (audio & mic), it gets auto-detected by the Realtek Panel, telling me that I connected them - a window pops up indicating the color & position...don´t know if you refer to this?  Sound is enabled, not recording though.

I just found something that maybe could help solving this mystery->  http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-play-audio-through-hdmi-speakers-simultaneously-in-windows-7/

I'll report later  8)
Cheers

Vezina

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 11:09:22 pm »
That setting overrides auto-detection for front panel, you force them on.

Can you hear sound out of the analog outputs on the mobo .If you talk to the mic and you have your headphones connected to the mobo do you hear yourself ?!
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

Kenshiro

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 09:42:28 am »
Hi Vezina,
No,  I can´t hear myself. tried front and back panel connectors, not working.  I'm sure it must work, is the Nvidia sound driver maybe interfering here ?
The link I posted above was not useful btw...
Cheers

Vezina

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 01:52:08 am »
Thats strange, in the pictures the analog on-board is the default in both areas.
Are you sure the microphone works ?!

If you double click on the items you get the settings.Test/adjust the mic in there ,adjust the volumes.But make sure it really works.You should have a mic boost setting in there, enable it.

Theoretically by putting the green check on the HDMI the sound should be olaybacked thru there.
Over & Out !

Kenshiro

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 03:59:36 pm »
Hi Vezina,

Yes, the mic works perfectly on my wife´s laptop, even tried another headset, works fine there, but not on my build...again.
Well, I just found out that the Nvidia Driver is the default sound playback for the HDMI, at least this is correct.
For some reason the mic is not being enabled, I googled online  - it seems that I´m not the only one having this issue.
I´ll keep checking stuff, I will also check the MicCal.exe I´ve read about...
Maybe also just try it with the Windows Drivers only, without the Realtek....  it´s getting odd.
Some people have solved it just by buying a soundcard...which makes things even more worriesome. 
Anyway, I´ll keep things updated.
Cheers,
Ken

Vezina

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 09:44:51 pm »
Yes you could remove the Realtek driver and revert to windows one indeed.It s ok sound wise don t worry.Autodetection is disabled with it ,you just plug it in and works.
Over & Out !