Official GIGABYTE Forum

Ga-8ISMLH mobo suport a dell socket 478 Pentium4 2.8 512 cache 533 FSB ?

Hi all , need some help that I have not been able to find .
The mentioned mobo I have is in a 2005 ATX tower , it presently has a Intel Celeron 1.8 GHz cpu in it , I have my old Dell 2400 that I took the Intel Pentium 2.8 , 512 cache , 533 Fsb cpu out of , they both have the 478 socket , from Gigabyte itself I found the this mobo suports 533 Fsb , but no info wether my Pentium cpu will work in it ?? If it will suport the P4 cpu what if any will I have to change to make it all work ? Bios ? PSU ? Drivers ? All help will be greatly appreciated Bill ..

Pottypete

Re: Ga-8ISMLH mobo suport a dell socket 478 Pentium4 2.8 512 cache 533 FSB ?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 10:48:13 am »
Hi, Bill
On the gigabyte website for that mobo it will give you a list of CPU's supported,
Also bios updates, drivers ect,.
But beware DELL use a lot of their own bios/drivers and OEM motherboards, built to their specs,
And are limited to what upgrades they will support,
Cheers

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 04:54:13 am »
Hi PottyPete ,, I checked the Gigabyte site and am still confused , it had P4 cpu`s listed but all had a name behind them such as Celeron , Northwood and another one can`t remember , my cpu says Intel Pentium 4 . I am not using the Dell pc , just took the P4 out of it , my Gigabyte mobo I can change the multiplier , the Vcore , the Fsb , the ram numeral , the Agp , the Pci i think it was , so I know I could change this bios to the 21 multiplier , the 133 fsb that the pentium cpu needs ,the gig mobo will suport the 400 or 533 fsb of some cpu`s , just don`t know if my p4 cpu is just plain ole Pentium or is made by say Northwood or someone , when I ordered the Dell years ago I ordered it with the actual Pentium upgrade at that time , I can in the gig mobo change the bios as its not locked and can be modded to the 21 x 133 fsb of this P4 cpu . It suports 400 or 533 fsb cpu`s just not sure on my P4 cause I didn`t know what cpu listing to look for on the gigabyte site ?? thanks Bill
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:33:05 am by rvbilly »

Pottypete

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 09:42:24 am »
Hi,
Clean off the top of the cpu and there will be a 5 digit no,
something like SL6VV on it, punch that into google and it will give you all the info on that cpu, and go from there
select your mobo and revision number, it will be on your mobo as rev//
download the manual for your revision there are a few!
And bob should be your uncle m8
Cheers
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 09:43:07 am by Pottypete »

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 03:24:01 am »
Hi again ,  thanks for the info , I found SL6PF on my chip , version 2.0 on the mobo , guess what ? My chip is not suported , yet its on the border line of accepted ones , the next chip down from mine is the Pentium Northwood 2.66 and its supoerted , mine  is a P4 2.8 Northwood and not ..
The Gigabyte mobo same as mine with version 3.0 does suport my 2.8 ,, so is the version 3.0 a newer mobo than mine ?
I found a P4 2.66 pcu on Ebay for $ 15.00 US delivered to my door so have purchased it . this Celeron in this mobo sucks , lol , so the P4 will help abit with the extra 512 mb of ram I`m putting in it , as far as building a new system down the road , what mobo and cpu combo wull out perform this old P4 , have at least 4 to 6 PCI slots and PCI-E video , must be on the cheap side ,, I do a lot of video editing and rarely play ant games ?  Bill ::)

Pottypete

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 10:56:19 am »
Hi,
Almost all the recent cpus will out perform the P4s
If your looking to edit video you should be looking towards amd x2 dual or quad chips
lots of memory and lots of hard drive space,
There are a lot of gigabyte mobos that  are not too expensive but will do all you want,
There are so many combos it would be difficult to suggest something as there will always be something a bit quicker, cheaper, faster,
Sort out your budget first then see what you can get for it,
Come back with what you choose and one of the forum members will come back to you
Cheers