Official GIGABYTE Forum

Problem With H61MA-D2V GigaBit LAN

tbod

Problem With H61MA-D2V GigaBit LAN
« on: February 22, 2013, 03:06:58 pm »
I have been using this board with Debian 6.0 for a while [see below for details].

I have three 3TB drives [as a software RAID 5] on the motherboard SATA ports and boot from a 2TB drive or the DVD drive connected to a four port SATA card plugged into one of the PCIe slots.

Concerned about redundancy ie: if the m/b SATA went I could lose all my data, I replaced the single four port SATA controller card [Sil controller chip] with three two port SATA controller cards [Marvell controller chip] and moved the boot drive and DVD to the motherboard SATA.

It booted first time, no problems with any of the drives and the array came up like a charm.

However, the LAN was no longer recognised.
I removed everything and returned to the previous configuration; No LAN.

I upgraded the BIOS from F2 to F5; No LAN.

I tried enabling / disabling the LAN using the [new] BIOS options; No LAN.
I tried enabling / disabling the BIOS Network Stack Options; Still No LAN

BIOS F9 [System Info] shows the LAN MAC Address as "N/A" and a live linux distro doesn't find any network hardware.

I am experienced [30 years] with building computers having built all my [and my friends] computers and can usually sort any problems out but this has stumped me.

I only use Linux on my dozen or so computers and do not have a copy of windows so am unable to use any Windows utilities. I can, however, run DOS utilities eg: EfiFlash.

I do not know if the LAN 'disappearing' is related to my replacing the single 4 port SATA card with the three 2 port SATA cards or if that is merely coincidental. I mention it for completeness.

I am at the end of my tether, can any one help me restore the LAN to my motherboard?

Hoping someone can help me out...

Regards
tbod

Here's some stuff you might want to know...

Motherboard:
    Celeron G530 @ 2.4GHz
    CPUID 000206A2 / 00000028
    1 x 4GB RAM

BIOS:
    F5
    12/14/2012
    8A01AG03

Everything is Bog Standard, NO Overclocking or Tweaking of any kind - I prefer stability and reliabilty to performance.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:28:23 pm by tbod »

tbod

Re: Problem With H61MA-D2V GigaBit LAN
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 11:15:59 am »
Sorry to 'BUMP' this but someone must know how to re enable the LAN on this motherboard.

I don't know HOW or WHY it was disabled under BIOS revision F2 [which didn't even include the facilty!]  or WHY the 'Enable LAN' option in the [revision F5] BIOS will not enable it, I just need to enable it so I can get my zippy little server running again - it runs like a slug on the temporary replacement ASUS motherboard.

Please could someone at GigaByte address this problem or I'll be forced to purchase a board from a competitor!

Regards
tbod

tbod

Re: Problem With H61MA-D2V GigaBit LAN
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 11:26:35 am »
Anyone? Anyone? Please...

tbod

Re: Problem With H61MA-D2V GigaBit LAN - Resolved
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 02:18:20 pm »
Despite 55 people reading this fault report no one has been able to offer any advice whatsoever on how to resolve this frustrating problem. I have come to the inevitable conclusion this motherboard is crap, plain and simple.

I remember when I was starting out Gigabyte used to be the name for motherboards you could rely on for: quality, performance and support. I can see that's no longer the case.
I have framed this piece of crap and hung it on my workshop wall as a reminder of just how bad this company's products and support have become. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I build, on average, 43 budget [and three high end] PCs each year and resolve never to buy another Gigabyte product again. I only bought this one because It was: cheap, had a suitable spec which met my requirements, was available immediately and I was in a hurry. I'll never make that mistake again!

So long and thanks for all the grief...

Regards
tbod