Official GIGABYTE Forum

H77-DS3H Rev1.1 - new ATX power connector question

XLR

H77-DS3H Rev1.1 - new ATX power connector question
« on: March 08, 2013, 01:46:21 pm »
Hi folks!

The previous H77-DS3H 1.0 has only one 4-pin 12V connector and the new revision 1.1 has two 4-pin 12v connectors, but my PSU has only one.
Do I really have to use a PSU with two connectors? If I use only one, in which scenarios it may affect system stability?
Right now I'm installing the OS and everything looks pretty stable. Is there anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: H77-DS3H Rev1.1 - new ATX power connector question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 02:20:14 pm »
You should be fine and that is 8 pin connector plus not 2 - 4 pin connector
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

zerowing

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 03:27:13 pm »
Hi folks!

The previous H77-DS3H 1.0 has only one 4-pin 12V connector and the new revision 1.1 has two 4-pin 12v connectors, but my PSU has only one.
Do I really have to use a PSU with two connectors? If I use only one, in which scenarios it may affect system stability?
Right now I'm installing the OS and everything looks pretty stable. Is there anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance.

You need 8-pin for faster CPUs (at least when the motherboard has support for it). Like the fastest Core i5 models and Core i7 Quad-Core ones.
If your PSU doesn't have the 8-pin EPS12V Xeon compliant connector I would avoid installing more expensive, faster CPUs. With just the standard 4-pin 12V single line connector you might have stability issues.
On LGA2011 X79 being practically a Single-Socket Xeon platform the 8-pin 12V connector with an EPS12V compliant PSU must always be used but those CPUs have a 130Watt TDP, higher than the LGA1155 ones. Anyway a Core i7 like the i7-3770 or i7-3770K is more stable and reliable when the 8-pin connector is used.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:30:46 pm by zerowing »

dmdilks

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 05:24:33 pm »
Anyway a Core i7 like the i7-3770 or i7-3770K is more stable and reliable when the 8-pin connector is used.  ???

i7-3770 or i7-3770K are only 77w  ;)

The 4 pin gives 150w
The 8 pin gives 300w

Most of the cpu's that you will use on that board are from 55w to 77w.

Yes if you are going to OC to the limit you should get a better PSU with a 8 pin plug.

But for normal use you should fine with any cpu you use.

If the 4 pin plug is giving 150w and the cpu only needs 77w and the power that it is giving is twin the watts. Than why do you need 8 pin plug.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

zerowing

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 05:58:42 pm »
http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/harrison/intel-haswell-introduces-new-power-requirement-for-1150/
Intel Haswell introduces new power requirement for 1150

September 26th, 2012 at 8:17 am - Author Harrison

While the launch of nVidia’s Fermi architecture and AMD’s Bulldozer might have had investors running to buy stocks in electricity production companies, overall, the trend for power consumption has been downward. KitGuru listens to rumours coming out of the east about possible changes to mainboard requirements for Intel’s Haswell in 2013.

A couple of years ago at IDF, Intel CEO Paul Otellini was banging on about Haswell, power consumption and Ultrabooks that could be used for 10 hours straight without needing a recharge – and about a week on ‘active standby’. He mapped this improvement for mobile users in the 2013 time space. Unfortunately, he didn’t seem to spend much time talking about desktop requirements.

To get enough juice for a full set of modern components, Socket 1155 mainboards offer both a 24-pin EATX Power connector and an 8-pin ATX 12V port.

So what about the new ‘ultra lower power requirements’ for next generation systems that use Intel Haswell? That is, the LGA 1150 socket mainboards.

Wikipedia is ‘lite’ on info about boards based on this new socket, but KitGuru is hearing that an 8-pin connector may no longer be needed. It could be that the new boards will use a 6-pin or even less. This kind of change, if the information is accurate, will pose no problem to quality PSU brands like Seasonic, Cooler Master, Antec and Be Quiet – because of the modular nature of their designs – but anyone with a cheap-n-nasty supply might have issues. That said, there may be cost implications for PSU manufacturers if they have to supply additional cables. It’s not much, but any increase in cost will be viewed with dissatisfaction by an industry that’s seen its biggest profit days gone by.

Right now, power is still not that sexy, but it is likely to be a hot topic over the next 2-3 years as we all demand more and more performance from less and less current.

KitGuru says: With the way that power has been increasing over the years, it would be good to see everything slide back to ‘sensible’. Sure, extreme/professional/enthusiast users will always have different requirements, but for many people the idea of Gold and Platinum rated power supplies with little/no fan noise is appealing.

Comment below or in the KitGuru forums.

dmdilks

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 07:58:04 pm »
So what is your point:

Intel’s Haswell processors set to touch down in June, should you upgrade?

Rumours have surfaced from Taipei and DigiTimes that Intel will be launching it’s brand new processors, with their funky new architecture, on June 2nd this year.

That’s a couple days before the start of Computex in Taiwan, one of the biggest tech trade shows in the world. That means you can bet there’ll be a host of Haswell motherboards littering the show following the launch.

It’s unlikely we’ll see much in the way of laptops or tablets based on the new chips, at least not in final form, as the dual-core i3 parts wont turn up until later in the year, as is usual with Intel CPU release.

What’s exciting about Haswell then?

Well, it’s based on the same 22nm silicon as the existing Ivy Bridge chips, but sadly it’s not pin-compatible. And that means we’ll need a whole new LGA 1150 CPU socket and subsequently whole new motherboards to jam our processor into.

Chances are though that it’s not really going to be that much of an improvement, in desktop performance terms, over the current generation of Intel CPUs. What it will have though is far improved graphics capabilities – somewhere in the region of twice as quick as the Ivy Bridge chip’s HD 4000 series graphics.

The new SKUs of Intel graphics will top out at the GT3E, which Intel is betting will be fast enough to form the basis for its own gaming laptops, without the need for discrete graphics. And because of the serious power-draw improvements that Haswell is also bringing to the processor table, that should make for gaming laptops with excellent battery life and decent graphical performance.

But on the desktop side, where we all have discrete GPUs we wouldn’t part with, there’s not a lot to entice us in. Sure, it’ll be a little quicker, but I doubt it’s going to be earth-shattering. Anyone with an Ivy Bridge CPU then can probably rest easy.

There have also been reports that after the launch of Haswell Intel will be shutting down its Intel-branded motherboard division.

I’ve never been a big fan of Intel’s own boards in general, but the good news is that they’re still going to be continuing the work on different form factors, like the incredible 4-inch Next Unit of Computing (NUC).

You are not dealing with 15 kid as you put it. I have been around computers for almost 30yrs and have been building them almost 20yrs.

The 8pin plug was first made to support dual CPU mother board and has become a standard on all MB.

Yes my CPU needs a 8 pin plug because it needs 150w of power. The 4 pin plug would be pushing it at 150w.

The OP ask if his 4 pin plug would be OK to be used on this board and the answer was yes. That is all he needed. 

Power is power and all he needs is 77w and he is getting 150w no matter how you add it up.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:59:20 pm by dmdilks »

zerowing

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 08:15:27 pm »
So what is your point:

You are not dealing with 15 kid as you put it. I have been around computers for almost 30yrs and have been building them almost 20yrs.

The 8pin plug was first made to support dual CPU mother board and has become a standard on all MB.

Yes my CPU needs a 8 pin plug because it needs 150w of power. The 4 pin plug would be pushing it at 150w.

The OP ask if his 4 pin plug would be OK to be used on this board and the answer was yes. That is all he needed.  

Power is power and all he needs is 77w and he is getting 150w no matter how you add it up.

I won't try explaining things to you, I link to what others already have explained on the subject, so maybe you would think twice and do some proper research on what you don't know before whining and getting all emotional.

http://superuser.com/questions/145843/is-using-4-pin-connector-for-8-pin-atx-12v-power-connector-ok

Is using 4-pin connector for 8-pin ATX 12V power connector ok?
up vote 4 down vote favorite

My new computer rig has a power supply with just 1 4-pin connector but the motherboard, a GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H has an 8-pin ATX 12V power connector.

Is using only the 4-pin connector enough?

Edit:

The motherboard has a 2x12 main power connector and a 2x4 12v power connector for the CPU. According to the manual, its not even supposed to be able to be turned on without the 12V cable.

Edit 2:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 435 Rana 2.9GHz
    PSU: 400W OCZ StealthXstream

power-supply
share|improve this question

edited May 27 '10 at 15:44

asked May 27 '10 at 7:29
wag2639

1 Answer
active oldest votes
up vote 5 down vote accepted

IT depends on your CPU. The additional 4 pins were added to support the higher power draw of newer (at the time) Core 2 Quads. The 4 pins will happily provide power to most lower end CPUs, but if you have a Quad I would double check the TDP and make sure you can provide enough power with the 75W that the 4-pin can provide and that you don't need the 150W that the 8-pin provides.

Either way, I would upgrade your PSU. You can get a good, brand name, high efficiency PSU with the proper connectors for well under $100 and you will be all set in the event that you upgrade down the road.

Edit: The Rana has a 95W TDP, this means that your CPU will consume 95W on max load. Your 24 pin power connector provides 144W max on the 12V rail. 75 of these Watts are used by PCIe, which leaves ~69W for the CPU (though other components will use some of this so in reality it's probably closer to 60W). This means that with the additional 75W from the 4-pin you can ~135W available to the CPU under max load. This should be plenty assuming you are doing no overclocking and your motherboard and you don't have any other major 12v draws in your system (like an additional video card).

Seriously though, you should still get a new PSU. They can be reused in newer computers if you upgrade and there's no guarantee that you aren't voiding your motherboard warranty even though it should work.
share|improve this answer

edited May 27 '10 at 15:53

answered May 27 '10 at 15:41
MDMarra
14.2k11938

I have a triple core Athlon II, according to newegg, its rated TDP is 95W, but I believe the OCZ PSUs are reputed to be high efficiency (vs some of those crap PSUs that just claim their peak but are usually overrated by 100W) – wag2639 May 27 '10 at 15:47

@wag2639 - see my edit – MDMarra May 27 '10 at 15:54

thanks. It is a brand new PSU and I have a new 700W PSU lying around also, but it seems overkill for something like this. Its just for my parents to watch SD videos (maybe HD in future). I wasn't even going to add any PCI adapters or additional graphics card. – wag2639 May 27 '10 at 17:39

@wag2639 - Got ya. If that's the case, you should be OK from an available power standpoint. Just keep it in mind if there is ever any flakey behavior. – MDMarra May 27 '10 at 18:14

I'm curious, if the 75W from the 4-pin wasn't enough, what would happen? Would it damage the motherboard, or just shut off? – callum Jul 1 '11 at 10:30
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 08:16:26 pm by zerowing »

XLR

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 08:45:02 pm »
Well, I'm using 3770 without any overclocking, 32GB of memory and a simple GT210 gfx card. Looks like it works pretty good with Antec 430W using only one 4pin connector.

Is there any recommended method to test system stability, in order to make sure everything is alright in the long term?

dmdilks

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 09:07:54 pm »
I won't try explaining things to you, I link to what others already have explained on the subject, so maybe you would think twice and do some proper research on what you don't know before whining and getting all emotional. 

Before you link any thing you better do some better research

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

That PSU might be working but you should be looking at a 750w PSU.

Yes the watts count but you have to worry about is the amps. I would be worry more about amps on that system.

Plus if you buy a PSU get one with a single +12v rail. Both watts & amps count, but make sure you get one with 50 amps or more.

zerowing

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 09:52:03 pm »

Before you link any thing you better do some better research

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

That PSU might be working but you should be looking at a 750w PSU.

Yes the watts count but you have to worry about is the amps. I would be worry more about amps on that system.

Plus if you buy a PSU get one with a single +12v rail. Both watts & amps count, but make sure you get one with 50 amps or more.

You wanted to look smart there with that reply of yours or what ?
You clearly have no knowledge of basic electrical engineering formulas and the relation between Watts and Amperes.

I will tell you that DC=Direct Current and AC=Alternating Current.

http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Watt_to_Amp_Calculator.htm

DC watts to amps calculation

The current I in amps (A) is equal to the power P in watts (W), divided by the voltage V in volts (V):

I(A) = P(W) / V(V)
AC single phase watts to amps calculation

The current I in amps (A) is equal to the power P in watts (W), divided by the power factor PF times the RMS voltage V in volts (V):

I(A) = P(W) / (PF × V(V) )

The power factor of resistive impedance load is equal to 1.
AC three phase watts to amps calculation

The current I in amps (A) is equal to the power P in watts (W), divided by square root of 3 times the power factor FP times the line to line RMS voltage VL-L in volts (V):

I(A) = P(W) / (√3 × PF × VL-L(V) )

The power factor of resistive impedance load is equal to 1.

DC watts to amps calculation formula

The current I in amps (A) is equal to the power P in watts (W), divided by the voltage V in volts (V):

I(A) = P(W) / V(V)

So amps are equal to watts divided by volts.

amp = watt / volt

or

A = W / V
Example

What is the current in amps when the power consumption is 330 watts and the voltage supply is 110 volts?

I = 330W / 110V = 3A
AC single phase watts to amps calculation formula

The current I in amps (A) is equal to the real power P in watts (W), divided by the power factor PF times the RMS voltage V in volts (V):

I(A) = P(W) / (PF × V(V) )

So amps are equal to watts divided by power factor times volts.

amps = watts / (PF × volts)

or

A = W / (PF × V)
Example

What is the current in amps when the power consumption is 330 watts, the power factor is 0.8 and the voltage supply is 110 volts?

I = 330W / (0.8 × 110V) = 3.75A
AC three phase watts to amps calculation formula
Amps calculation with line to line voltage

The current I in amps (A) is equal to the real power P in watts (W), divided by square root of 3 times the power factor PF times the line to line RMS voltage VL-L in volts (V):

I(A) = P(W) / (√3 × PF × VL-L(V) )

So amps are equal to watts divided by square root of 3 times power factor times volts.

amps = watts / (√3 × PF × volts)

or

A = W / (√3 × PF × V)
Example

What is the current in amps when the power consumption is 330 watts, the power factor is 0.8 and the voltage supply is 110 volts?

I = 330W / (√3 × 0.8 × 110V) = 2.165A
Amps calculation with line to neutral voltage

The calculation assumes the loads are balanced.

The current I in amps (A) is equal to the real power P in watts (W), divided by 3 times the power factor PF times the line to neutral RMS voltage VL-0 in volts (V):

I(A) = P(W) / (3 × PF × VL-0(V) )

So amps are equal to watts divided by 3 times power factor times volts.

amps = watts / (3 × PF × volts)

or

A = W / (3 × PF × V)

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:53:59 pm by zerowing »

dmdilks

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 11:05:38 pm »
Why don't you give it up and go back to your memtest86 theory. That will fix all your problems

Like I said before the OP ask if the 4 pin would work and as far as he is saying it is.

Yes the PSU is a little weak for what he is doing. He should be looking at better PSU.

If is only using to get on the net and do some normal stuff. He will be fine.

If he plans on doing some gaming with it might run into some trouble.

That is why I said for him to look upgrading his PSu to 750w.

That way if he want to do some more upgrade he will be fine down the road on the PSU.

zerowing

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 11:50:41 pm »
Why don't you give it up and go back to your memtest86 theory. That will fix all your problems

Like I said before the OP ask if the 4 pin would work and as far as he is saying it is.

Yes the PSU is a little weak for what he is doing. He should be looking at better PSU.

If is only using to get on the net and do some normal stuff. He will be fine.

If he plans on doing some gaming with it might run into some trouble.

That is why I said for him to look upgrading his PSu to 750w.

That way if he want to do some more upgrade he will be fine down the road on the PSU.

Attacking me like a little kid won't accomplish anything here.

dmdilks

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 01:22:19 am »

No we are not going to accomplish anything as long as you act like the expert and everybody is wrong no matter what.

zerowing

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 01:40:13 pm »

No we are not going to accomplish anything as long as you act like the expert and everybody is wrong no matter what.

If you like looking silly go on.. show how childish you are.