Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H not starting up correctly, not even getting to BIOS

Hi, I am having trouble getting this motherboard to start. I have it on top of its box, with a 3570K and its stock cooler attached, as well as one 4gb stick of GSkill Ripjaws RAM @ 1600Mhz in the first slot. Power supply is Corsair TX650, which is connected to the ATX and ATX_12V_2x4 slots on the board. I haven't attached the video card or other components and just have the motherboard connected directly to a monitor via DVI/VGA (I have tried both).

When I hit power, the fan on the power supply starts spinning for half a second then stops. The CPU fan then "wiggles" about once every four or five seconds but never really spins (although I can feel that the CPU heat sink is getting hot -- not sure if hot enough that the fan ought to run though). The motherboard status flashes 15, 4F, and 72 (possibly with some other numbers that go by too quickly to read). These numbers come up and the CPU keeps getting warm until I turn it off.

And... that's it. No signal is detected by the monitor so I assume it isn't even loading the BIOS correctly. I have also tried with the main and secondary BIOS (the motherboard has a physical switch to alternate between the two) but both give the same result. I have also tried resetting the CMOS.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on? Any help would be much appreciated.

As a short update... if I plug the CPU fan into the SYS_FAN2 fan slot it seems to run correctly. I don't know why the standard CPU fan slot isn't working. But anyway, it still doesn't boot up and the error messages are the same.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:19:59 pm by throwSv »

najiro

no beeps? can you reach the bios page?
try a single ram module and stick in to one of the dimm slots, alternately use 1 of the 4 slots and see if you can reach the bios page.
You say the motherboard is powered right? It's kinda rare to have a defective processor so checking the rams would be the next thing to do.
WordPress Site Builder - Content Writer - Economist - PC Hardware Enthusiast - Gamer - Foodie

Nope haven't heard any beeps at any point. I've tried a bunch of RAM configurations, using one or both sticks, but it's always the same. Also I realized that the error display also gets to code 96 just before it loops the booting process each time (the 96 flashes very quickly so I missed it initially).

It seems to be the same problem that this person (Unframed -- http://www.overclock.net/t/1259334/official-gigabyte-g1-sniper-3-m3-owners-thread-club/850) had on a Sniper board. Apparently it was solved by using a different brand of memory. I might pick up a different brand of RAM and try that. If that doesn't work then RMA I suppose.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
As a short update... if I plug the CPU fan into the SYS_FAN2 fan slot it seems to run correctly. I don't know why the standard CPU fan slot isn't working

This has to be plug into the cpu header. If you have that plug in and it isn't spinning than that might be the problem.

The board will boot but it is shutting down because it isn't seeing a cpu fan plug in.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Here's a video of what happens. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOJlq9eo5zQ

In the video the CPU fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN slot. Results are identical when it is plugged into the SYS_FAN2 slot, except that it seems to spin correctly rather than just wiggle every few seconds. Debating about whether I should go try to grab a cheap stick of RAM to see if that's the issue (as this apparently solved the other person's similar problem) or just RMA immediately...

(Thanks for your help so far...)

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Can you try a different PSU?

There have been some instances where this kind of issue has arisen due to incompatible units, yes, I know, it doesn't seem possible, but some boards seem to have problems with certain PSU's.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Unfortunately I don't have another PSU with me here; I'd have to buy another one. If there is some specific information out there to the effect that mine is incompatible with the board I'd get another one, but I'm hesitant to buy another one if it's not certain that's the problem...

najiro

Man that looks like a dead motherboard. I got a dead Z77 board that went like that. Random post error codes and frequent restarts. Better contact your dealer.
WordPress Site Builder - Content Writer - Economist - PC Hardware Enthusiast - Gamer - Foodie

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
If there is some specific information out there to the effect that mine is incompatible with the board I'd get another one, but I'm hesitant to buy another one if it's not certain that's the problem...

Yes, I can understand that position. Sadly, there isn't a list and the only reason I suggested this as a possible cause is because I have come across a few other users experiencing similar problems and it came down to the PSU. For example: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/50789-ga-z77x-up5-th-does-not-start-bios-no-display-nothing.html

Another thing to check would be the CPU socket, to make sure there are no bent or damaged pins as this could also cause the problems you are facing.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Re: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H not starting up correctly, not even getting to BIOS
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 03:08:21 pm »
Quick update and resolution ...

Replacement motherboard came in and is able to boot into BIOS correctly... and the CPU fan also works correctly in the CPU_FAN slot now. Guess I just got a bad board initially. RMA was through Newegg and was quick and painless though (be sure to ask them to pay the cost of shipping in online chat or on phone, they did it for me with no hassle). Fingers crossed that I don't have any more issues.

Thanks for your help!

najiro

Re: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H not starting up correctly, not even getting to BIOS
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 06:00:37 pm »
Quick update and resolution ...

Replacement motherboard came in and is able to boot into BIOS correctly... and the CPU fan also works correctly in the CPU_FAN slot now. Guess I just got a bad board initially. RMA was through Newegg and was quick and painless though (be sure to ask them to pay the cost of shipping in online chat or on phone, they did it for me with no hassle). Fingers crossed that I don't have any more issues.

Thanks for your help!

Glad to know the troubleshooting is over :)