Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z77X-UD3H Boot Issue?

FredEx

Z77X-UD3H Boot Issue?
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:11:55 am »
At times when I do a cold boot (AKA hard boot) my video card is not seen. I have to reboot several times and finally it finds it again. It is not the video card. I have tried a couple other cards and the same thing happens. None of the cards have a problem in another system. The card used right now is a Sapphire 6850. A Gigabyte 560, a Asus 5770 and an EVGA 680 have all had the same problem on this motherboard. Put them in other systems and all is okay. I have tried a different PSU too. I have eliminated everything but the motherboard.

What might it be? It has a 3570K processor and 8 Gig of Corsair RAM. I have had the BIOS reset on me, but that has not happened since I reset the battery and later replaced it.

Forgot to add, the BIOS is F18. Only had this board 19 days.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:15:33 am by FredEx »

FredEx

Re: Z77X-UD3H Boot Issue?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 06:37:06 am »
I have discovered an issue with the motherboard. Something is wrong with the upper PCIE slot. I could not get the video to be seen even after many reboots. I moved the video card down to the next PCIE slot and it worked perfectly. I tried it back up in the top slot again and nothing. As it booted I pushed on the card and it saw the video card. Reboot again and it was not seen. That upper slot seems loose, hardly any resistance when putting a card in it.

My educated guess (40 years in electronics, 34 with computers) is the connector is the problem and it is not always making proper contact with the various cards tried in it. It worked intermittently and now after 3 weeks it almost never works.

I've put the card back in the second slot again and as I said above, it works there.

Re: Z77X-UD3H Boot Issue?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 08:56:43 am »
That sounds like you'll have to return that card to Gigabyte...