Official GIGABYTE Forum

New computer boot problem

New computer boot problem
« on: April 20, 2013, 10:37:46 am »
Hi,

Yesterday I've bought a new PC. It has an i7 3,5 GHz processor, a Gigabyte GAz77x-UD3H mainboard, a Nvidia 680 GTX graphics card, 32 Gb of ram, a 240 Gb SATA and two 2 Tb Harddisks, a 750W power supply (Corsair TX750), a blu-ray writer. The first time I've tried to boot the unit, I was unsuccessful. The lights on the case were lit but there was no harddisk activity. Also the monitor didn't wake up. I have resetted and got the same results. As the graphics card has 2 DVI inputs, I've thought that maybe one of them was inactive, so I've plugged the DVI to the other port, resetted and the computer booted normally. These events happened yesterday. Today, when I turned on the unit, the same thing happened. I've followed the same procedure and it booted again. However one thing grabbed my attention: When the computer doesn't boot, there is no beep coming form the BIOS (I haven't paid attention yesterday), so I don't think the problem is with the graphics card. After booting I did a shutdown and restarted again without a problem.

Following the next shutdown, I haven't been able to boot the unit for nearly 2 hours. The LED occasionally gave a D4 error (3 or 4 times). Otherwise  it stops at 96. After 2 hours, it did boot and now the code is AO. I didn't shut it down again, so while it is working I am writing this message. What do you think the problem might be? I've read about some incompatibilities between the PSU (Corsair) and mainboard. Is it a confirmed problem?

N.b.: I've Googled the problem and the 96 code, and almost all of them pointed to threads where the problem is resolved by changing the mainboard. Is there a way to know if I have a faulty mainboard?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:01:57 am by drmaestro »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: New computer boot problem
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 11:58:01 am »
Hi there,

it could be a BIOS issue and it might be an idea to update to the latest version for your motherboard and seeing if that helps.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 12:24:28 pm »
Thanks for the reply. @BIOS tells me that I have version F18. The Gigabyte website has F19 but it is in beta state. Would it be wise to flash a beta BIOS?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 12:30:37 pm »
Yes, it is quite safe to flash to a beta BIOS and you can always flash back to the F18 if it doesn't help but, I would recommend using QFlash rather than the @BIOS utility to do the update.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 05:54:31 pm »
Hi. I've brought the unit to the manufacturer. Interestingly, when they boot the computer, it works in 9/10 times, and 1/10 times it gives the 96 error (at home it was just the opposite). They have updated the bios and it started to give more frequent errors, including a new one (b2 or 62). Maybe they had a problem when installing the BIOS. Thay have also tried another PSU (xilence 750w) but 96 happens occasinally. They told me that they would look for solutions. Do you think it is a mainboard problem?

ysw

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 03:51:20 am »
the tweak town has latest bios f19j.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html
you may try to update.
you may also check if graphics card has newer bios to update.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 08:41:39 pm »
The manufacturer had to remove the mainboard and replace it with another one(not a Gigabyte). Now everything works perfectly. I wasn't expecting a new mainboard to be defective but seems to be the case.