Official GIGABYTE Forum

Extremly Slow boot with MS-AHCI on Gigabyte AM3 boards

Extremly Slow boot with MS-AHCI on Gigabyte AM3 boards
« on: January 24, 2010, 08:39:15 am »
Recently I purchased an Intel X25-M G2 to go along with my Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5. Because of the fact that only MS-AHCI drivers are capable of passing trim along to the Intel drive I have no choice but to use them.
There seems to be a serious problem with some Gigabyte boards. When I goggled this issue what surprised me was that 90% of the people who had the same problem as me, all had Gigabyte Boards.

Here is the exact problem:

When the system boots to Windows 7 upon reaching the splash-screen(windows boot screen) it hangs for 40 sec while the windows logo pulsates. It makes no difference weather it's I use a standard HDD or a fresh install of windows or weather I have only one primary drive attached.

When booting into IDE mode or using the ATI AHCI driver it boots instantly, there is no delay, I only see the windows logo/boot screen for 3 seconds. I know of other people who use the MS-AHCI drivers on different board manufactures who do not experience this problem. So it seems to be mostly isolated with those running Gigabyte boards. I am assuming that this is a gigabyte Bios issue than can hopefully be fixed. Maybe this has to do with the AHCI ROM bios. I know Gigabyte with there past Intel boards had a huge delay with there AHCI rom initialization and booting in AHCI.

If anyone can please shed some light on this issue I would be eternally grateful as would the many others dealing with this problem.

jelbo

Re: Extremly Slow boot with MS-AHCI on Gigabyte AM3 boards
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 05:15:23 pm »
I can confirm this... SSDSA2MH080G2R5 on a GA-770TA-UD3, using AHCI and MS driver...

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 02:11:31 pm »
Same issue here. GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD3P motherboard. Intel X25-M G2, so using MS-AHCI.
Shows up in diagnostics-performance event log as
 MainPathBootTime 83344
 BootDevicesInitTime 61422

so over 60 seconds pause during boot detecting AHCI drives. This disappears if I disable ACHI in BIOS.

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 08:42:20 pm »
Does updating to latest BIOS help?
There's no place like ::1

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 03:33:34 pm »
I've got latest BIOS (F6). Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 07:45:55 pm »
How you guys are using the AHCI?
Here, with the GA-MA790FX-DQ6, BIOS F7e, I don't know how to do. I set AHCI mode, during Windows 7 installation select the AHCI driver from the motherboard, and after install, the Intel software doesn't works. Checking the installed driver, shows disk.sys, not msahci.sys ow the one from the CD.
Any idea how make it works?
Thank's.