Official GIGABYTE Forum

New GA-Z77X-D3H MB Problems, Problems, Problems

i_am_jim

New GA-Z77X-D3H MB Problems, Problems, Problems
« on: April 29, 2013, 04:53:13 pm »
First let me say, I've assembled about 6 computers over the past 20 years and never had a problem before.

About 5-6 weeks ago I bought a GA-Z77X-D3H MB, an Intel i3 processor, and crucial memory.

I have two sticks of memory and in each of the steps below would try each stick one at a time to be sure the problem wasn't memory.  And, since only the things connected were the new parts and the power supply, the only ways I had to tell the board wasn't starting was, the CPU fan didn't start and there was no Post beep.

When I first assembled it (outside the case on a table top) it would not start.  Gigabyte tech support said the problem was my 450 power supply was too small, so I bought a Coarair 600 watt PS.  No change.

I removed the processor and examined the socket.  A pin in the middle of the field was missing. Gigabyte agreed the board was defective so I returned it for an exchange.   No change

Gygabyte then pointed at the processor and since every component except the processor had been replaced Intel agreed and I exchanged the processor.  No change.

I figured out about here the board has no BEEP speaker (a severe weakness in a case like this).

Since I had seen the fan grunt and ever so briefly try to move I decided to flick the fan.  After about 6-7 flicks it started. 

Now I have no way to know if it's booting, so I connected a monitor and keyboard.  It is booting.

Gigabyte suggested I switch the fan from the CPU fan connector to a different fan connector.  Amazing, away she went.

When I added the second stick of memory it went back to the "fan won't start" behavior.  I put this second stick in as the only memory and it became intermittent, so Crucial said the second stick was bad.  I removed the second stick put the first stick back back in.  Again, it began starting reliably.

This was last Friday.

I wanted to be absolutely sure the board was working properly before I put it in my main box, so I probably started it a couple of dozen time over the weekend and ran it for 16 hours constantly yesterday.  I turned it off last night at about 1 am. I was about to install it in the case this morning when I decided to add one more start to my confidence and it didn't start.  After that it started once and then didn't start the next time.  Since then it has started consistently. 

To recap, every component in the system has been replaced.

I'm at my wits end.  Any suggestions?
GA-MA78GM-S2H ver 1.1 BIOS ver 11
AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core Processor 5000+
4 Gb of RAM
400+ Gb of free space on main drive
GPU -- came on the MB
PSU -- Antec 450 Watt
DVD -- Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200S

i_am_jim

Re: New GA-Z77X-D3H MB Problems, Problems, Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 01:35:16 am »
I take it from the absence of replies no one has any more ideas than I do -- which is none. 
4 Gb of RAM
GPU -- came on the MB
PSU -- Antec 450 Watt

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 03:15:53 pm »
  Since then it has started consistently 

So what you saying that the computer is starting every time and working fine. Plus doesn't that mother board have led display for codes.

The thing is why is it starting every time now and before I was having a problem. I don't think any body can tell why it is working now.

In your case you started and had to replace everything to get it to work. The thing is there is no clear step by step to troubleshoot a computer.

The other thing is that when people try to help somebody here. Unless you are sitting there it see what is happening.

All you can do is try to tell the person to try this and that. If it is working all you can do like the rest of us cross your fingers every time it starts.  ;D
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

i_am_jim

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 03:27:45 pm »
I think you misunderstood.  It has become intermittent again after starting reliably many times.
4 Gb of RAM
GPU -- came on the MB
PSU -- Antec 450 Watt

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 03:46:35 pm »
I was only by what you put up there. Since then it has started consistently

Do you have the speaker hookup or did case come with one of those little speaker adapters to use. 
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.