Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z68MA-D2H-B3: not seeing GPU, I think.

Z68MA-D2H-B3: not seeing GPU, I think.
« on: May 06, 2013, 12:35:51 am »
Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 rev 1.3 board
EVGA GTX 550 Ti
Intel i7 sandy, not the 'k' one
Viewsonic monitor w/ 1 DVI, 1 VGA input

Issue: "No Signal" displayed on monitor. No video output when vid card installed

The video card fan spins. No video output with either DVI output. have not tried the mini-hdmi output as i don't have the adapter. Works fine when card is out of the machine and using integrated graphics with VGA cable. I've done the BIOS update, and made sure that the PCI x16 is enabled in bios. I took the video card to my friends computer and it works fine, so I thought it was my motherboard. Replaced mobo with ASUS and still had the same issue. I returned the ASUS and now back with Gigabyte. In my BIOS, it does not have the option to "disable on-board graphics", it has:

Video.......Enable VGA if no PEG

To my knowledge, the mobo will (if set in bios) make the video card primary automatically. I think it is doing this, sort of. The reason I think this is because while the computer is on w/video card in (no video output showing on monitor) and I disconnect the dvi cable from vid card and connect a vga cable from mobo to monitor it will not show anything at all making me think that it's trying to send video to GPU.

Is there any other setting in the BIOS that I should be looking at that I am possibly missing?

Other things I've tried to no avail:

I changed the power supply cable that goes from PSU to Graphics card.(PCIE)
I replace the DVI cable
I tried putting a dvi cable from graphics card to a DVI-VGA adapter and plugging into VGA input on monitor.

Any suggestions? comments? moral support?
Thanks
Erik
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:38:37 am by erik2282 »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Z68MA-D2H-B3: not seeing GPU, I think.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:01:43 am »
I had similar graphic issues with the GA-Z68X-UD3P when I tried to switch from GPU to internal graphics or vice versa and I found that clearing CMOS helped.

If clearing CMOS doesn't help but, you can get a display from the onboard graphics remove the GPU, then reflash the BIOS. Once the BIOS flash process has completed shutdown the PC, don't reboot. reinstall the GPU and connect the monitor to it. Reboot and hopefully the GPU will be working and you can continue as normal.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 12:03:54 pm »
I have a back up of my old bios, should I flash to that one and then back to the newer one?

the motherboard has two 'clear cmos' pins, but when i jump them the computer will not power on. I'll just pull the battery instead.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 12:56:47 pm »
I would reflash with same BIOS version that you currently have running. If still no luck try flashing with older version but follow same steps as outlined in previous reply.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 03:38:08 pm »
ok, I will try when I get home from work. Thanks

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 02:34:29 am »
I tried both and neither worked. still behaves the same. Any more ideas?

Thanks
Erik

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 02:46:21 am »
Have you tried a different video card and what PSU are you using?
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 03:19:37 am »
I have not tried a different video card, but I did try this vid card in my friends pc and it worked normally.

PSU is Corsair TX650M

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 06:24:12 pm »
A friend of mine let me borrow his video card. It has two DVI, one VGA, and one HDMI port.

I got it to work with the VGA port on the card with vga cable to vga port on monitor. but it does not work with either dvi ports.
I tried putting a DVI-VGA adapter on the DVI port of the card and running a vga cable to the VGA port on monitor, but it did not work.
I also tried putting the adapter on the dvi port of the monitor and then running the vga cable to the vga port on the card, which also did not work.

It seems like it only works with VGA, no type of DVI wants to work.

any ideas?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 08:52:25 pm »
I'm just asking but on the monitor do you to set which one you are using VGA or DVI.

Plus does the DVI cable or adapter have the two pins over and under the little flat bar connector.

If they don't that might be the problem. Some of the video cards need them for them to work with the DVI.

Some of the video cards are coming out with both of those connection. You MB doesn't have those 4 pin holes.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 11:45:24 pm »
Yes I have the settings on the monitor set to DVI.

The adapter does not have the four little pins next to the flat bar. I dont have one of these adapters that does.

But what I do have is a DVI to VGA cable. This cable, on the DVI side, does have the four pins.

In my guest bedroom I have a Samsung LED tv that has an HDMI input. I brought it to my office and connected via HDMI to the borrowed vid card and it worked good. My video card has mini-HDMI port and I dont have the mHDMI-HDMI adapte. Im wondering if I buy this adapter and another adapter (HDMI-DVI), as my monitor only has one vga and one dvi port, will it work?

Right now what I am trying to do is run team viewer on my windows laptop and on my linux machine, because I can see the picture on my small tv. this way I can disconnect the hdmi and connect the DVI to monitor and see if I can change settings remotely. I'll post findings

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 01:02:10 am »
found that the DVI port on the monitor is bad and out of warranty....errr!!