Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P55-UD3 Major Raid 5 issues

Maes

GA-P55-UD3 Major Raid 5 issues
« on: July 01, 2010, 12:11:49 pm »
Hello,

I have a home built server with a gigabyte P55-UD3 motherboard+core i5 750, running windows server 2008 R2 64 bit. And since yesterday it is running a raid 5 array of 6x2tb hitachi disks.
Now as most of you probably know after setting up the array it will start initializing, this process takes several days.

I am using intel matrix storage manager to monitor my raid array.
This manager started saying disk 1 encountered an "error". It seemed impossible to find out what error, but it was an error, and it made the entire array "degraded".

I decided to restart the computer not knowing what to do, and the disk was fine once more. But a few minutes later disk 6 was now showing errors!
Not only that but continueing through the process disk 6 eventually dropped out completely and the manager now told me all the data on the array was lost.

Luckily I didn't put any data on there yet since I don't trust things that I never used before.

Now presently, I have recreated the array in order to fix it, I created a NEW raid5 array with a 64k strip size, and afterwards all 6 disks were OK.
So I went to bed in the hope that it would work now, but when I woke up, the initialisation stopped at 43% and this time disk 4 was the trouble maker.

I am no completely at an end, as I have no clue what it could be. I really doubt the hard drives are broken because they seem to restore themselves afterwards, but this way the array initialisation will never get to 100%.

Can anyone please help me?

PS: I just realised that after setting up this array for the first time, a process called xInsIDE.exe started crashing everytime the server booted,  took it out of start up. Maybe this is the problem?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:14:55 pm by Maes »

Maes

Re: GA-P55-UD3 Major Raid 5 issues
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 12:31:13 pm »
After several support calls I was told this motherboard does not support raid arrays this size. And that I would be better off buying a hardware raid card.
I hope this isn't true or I would have never bought an expensive mobo but a card in the first place.

Peteruk

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 12:36:30 pm »
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-030818.htm

“Description

Some users have reported that they experienced random drive failures after installing Intel® Matrix Storage Manager version 8.9.”

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-031456.htm
Intel® Matrix Storage Manager is now Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

I guess you haven't put any thing important on this RAID just yet I suggest you start over with Rapid Storage Technology 9.6
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=18859&lang=eng

Maes

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 07:31:24 am »
Thank you for your reply.

I have uninstalled the program and installed intel rapid storage. I have NOT recreated the array just yet, since the rebuilding is already at 28% right now. I will let it continue untill (and if) it fails once more.