Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-F2A85X-UP4 - AMD Chipset Driver cause system reboot

GA-F2A85X-UP4 - AMD Chipset Driver cause system reboot
« on: May 29, 2013, 01:01:32 pm »
Hello everyone,
I am looking for help here I am desperate!

I bought 2 weeks ago a bran new GA-F2A85X-UP4 with a A10 processor.

After installing wondows 7 everithing goes fine but as soon as I install the  "AMD Chipset Driver (include chipset \ sata raid \ VGA \ USB driver) (12.10)"  my computer reboots randomly.  My display becomes black and a few secon later the system reboots.    Sometimes the reboot occurs while I entrer my logon password, sometimes it happens when the windows logo is loading.

I did a system restore in safe mode and my system works fine again; except that I do not have any  chipset \ sata raid \ VGA \ USB driver installed and my display is crappy graphics so I cannot play any game.

Has anyone encounter this problem, does anyone suggest a solution or simply that I return my motherboard, processor or both to the store before the warranty ends?

Thank you so much!!!!

Simon

timmib

Re: GA-F2A85X-UP4 - AMD Chipset Driver cause system reboot
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:43:06 pm »
My thought would be to go directly the the AMD site to find the graphics drivers.
ga-970a-ud3 v3, phenom II x4 965
16 gb Kingston memory
gv-n210sl-1gi (geforce 210)

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:31:57 pm »
Thank you for the reply, 
the 12.10 version (2013-03-25) that I installed is the one that I downloaded from the gigabyte website for Win 7 64 bit.
I think this is the latest one on the net.

Simon

timmib

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 10:14:15 pm »
Hi,

If you find the name of the graphic processor for your system, you can go directly to AMD to find the appropriate s/w.  You could right click on your desktop to see if there's a graphic dashboard offering, or go to properties and choose settings, advanced which should show a tab specifically for you graphics.  Therein should be the name and version.  Once you find this information you could google the name + driver and see if you don't come up with a AMD website and therein will be an option for driver downloads.

You are looking for the s/w-drivers which are specific to your mb and agu.  Only amd is going to have that specificity.  Gigabyte doesn't know what you paired with their mb.

Hopefully someone with more explicit experience will jump in here!!

Be well,

Kim
ga-970a-ud3 v3, phenom II x4 965
16 gb Kingston memory
gv-n210sl-1gi (geforce 210)

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 10:37:19 pm »
I am a user of  FM2 platform ,i have 2 rigs on it

You should do the following:

- disable C6,CnQ,Turbo boost and APM
- make the clean installation of W7
- install the AMD chipset driver from AMD website 13.4 version -> http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx
- install the video driver that you can find in the same place with the same version
- install the LAN driver(Gigabyte or Realtek site)
- install the sound card driver(Gigabyte or Realtek site)
- update Windows
- install FX CPU patches from tech power up.

Hardware instability arrives from overclocking ,bad RAM ,bad power supply.
So make sure you have a new good 400W power supply ,test the RAM with memtest and make sure you are using the latest motherboard BIOS
I have had some stability issues with my Gigabyte FM2 board fixed by setting LLC to Low or Medium preset
This setting in combination with Turbo boost were giving problems.
After some adjustments i am now running 4Ghz CPU as Turbo ,2200Mhz NB and even 900Mhz GPU depending on the needs as i usually use this FM2 machine for non gaming purposes.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:40:55 pm by Vezina »
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 12:04:24 pm »
Thank you all for your quick replies; it is really appreciated!
I will tried Vezina procedure tonight and give you a feedback tomorrow.

As for new development, I did have my first reboot yesterday without the driver, I guess that is not good news.
My power supply is a bran new corsair 550W, so is my RAM (corsair vengence low profile).
I will test my ram and check for bios latest upgrade.

As for instability, I do not overclock my computer, I rather keep them cool for a quiet HTPC environment.

thank you again,

Simon

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 01:17:31 am »
Even if they are new they can be defective so you should double check.
But test the other suggestions first ,before swapping around.
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 04:29:55 pm »
Hi all!
I think I have good new!

I have followed Vezina instructions:

I did disable C6,  Cool&Quiet, Boost and A.P.M. in the bios

I have tested my ram with memtest86+ and everything is fine. (At that time I was desperate, I was sure that was the issue...)

I have installed the 13.4 AMD Chipset Drivers on http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx#2

Then I did not know which graphic was with my AMD A10-5800K  since in device manger on processor tab it was written only "AMD A10-5800K with Radeon HD Graphics" and on display adapter tab "generic display driver" So I used the  "Automatically Detect and Install" on http://support.amd.com/US/GPUDOWNLOAD/Pages/index.aspx
I did see that it is version 1.0 is dated 2011/07/17 but still I have installed it and after installation and reboot it is working! On Display adapter tab now it is written "AMD Radeon HD 7660D"

I have been running for an hour or so on this setup and so far so good, I have run Starcraft II and this time the game is loading.

I think my problem is solved if I do not post again, thank you all for your help!

For other that run in this problem, I have discussed with the store repair guy and he told me also to check if the CPU was properly secured by the heat sink.  He told me that sometimes that when the heat sink is not secure correctly, random reboot at startup can occurs since the CPU is still loose in the socket.  I my case, I checked but is was well placed.

Thank you again and hopefully I will not post again on this thread!

Simon

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 04:31:02 pm by simonstp »