Official GIGABYTE Forum

Couple of problems with the GA-Z87X-UD3H (BIOS)

christianh

Couple of problems with the GA-Z87X-UD3H (BIOS)
« on: June 27, 2013, 01:46:45 am »
Using the F5 bios i have some problems.

In the CPU section using the on & off sliders and then clicking the apply button it won't save the settings. Neither does Save & Exit save anything. If i click Save Profiles under Favourites sections the BIOS freezes and i have to do a manual restart using the reset button. I have been running MEMtest for a whole day without any memory errors so i guess i could exclude the memory modules.

Seems like a buggy BIOS to me.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:49:37 am by christianh »

Weazle

Re: Couple of problems with the GA-Z87X-UD3H (BIOS)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 12:35:15 pm »
Hi,

The BIOS settings on the screen are pretty much active as soon as you hit apply.  To the left side, you will see what the values are when saved.  Start off at stock speeds, then click the setting to "On", move the slider, click "Apply" .... then you will see the valeus on the left side info panel reflect your new settigns.

If it freezes, then your overclocking settings are not stable.  When that happens I just hit the power or reset buttons on the motherboard.

The other thing that confuses things with Haswell is that its a CPU designed to run at minimal power/usage dependent on the power profile you've selected in Windows.  It will always say i5-4670K @3.4Ghz when you right-click the properties on "My Computer" (I'm use to Core Quads reading @ the overclocked speed).  To see that your overclocking is successful in Windows, you will need to download CPU-Z which shows actual clock speeds and change your power profile in Windows.  Even on "Balanced" or "High Performance", you may want to whack the "Minimum CPU" to 100%.

-Weazle
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:39:49 pm by Weazle »

christianh

Re: Couple of problems with the GA-Z87X-UD3H (BIOS)
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 02:58:56 pm »
Hi,

The BIOS settings on the screen are pretty much active as soon as you hit apply.  To the left side, you will see what the values are when saved.  Start off at stock speeds, then click the setting to "On", move the slider, click "Apply" .... then you will see the valeus on the left side info panel reflect your new settigns.

If it freezes, then your overclocking settings are not stable.  When that happens I just hit the power or reset buttons on the motherboard.

The other thing that confuses things with Haswell is that its a CPU designed to run at minimal power/usage dependent on the power profile you've selected in Windows.  It will always say i5-4670K @3.4Ghz when you right-click the properties on "My Computer" (I'm use to Core Quads reading @ the overclocked speed).  To see that your overclocking is successful in Windows, you will need to download CPU-Z which shows actual clock speeds and change your power profile in Windows.  Even on "Balanced" or "High Performance", you may want to whack the "Minimum CPU" to 100%.

-Weazle

Thanks for the detailed answer, however i am not overclocking so you can exlude that. It freezes only when i use the Save Profiles under Favourites not saving profiles in the Save & Exit tab.

Regarding the on/off sliders It does Apply however when i change tab (to System for example) and go back to the Perfomance tab the settings are not saved. Neither does the settings save when i am clicking Save & Exit.