Official GIGABYTE Forum

Virtualiation on Z87X-UD3H: VT-x and VT-d

Virtualiation on Z87X-UD3H: VT-x and VT-d
« on: August 11, 2013, 08:57:46 am »
Hi guys,

By now I've looked at the Z87X-UD3H so much that it raises physical desire in me. But I'm reluctant to purchase because of one last issue: I haven't read anywhere of anyone getting VT-d passthrough of a graphics card working. I plan on pairing it with an i7-4770 (vanilla, not K) for the VT-d support, and would feel foolish if having skipped on overclockability, my mobo subsequently failed to support device passthrough.

The user manual has the following brief mention: "VT-d (Note [that CPU must support]) Enables or disables Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O. (Default: Enabled)" I'm not satisfied by this, as it's identical to the note in the mobo of this gentleman, who couldn't get a similar Z87 board working: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,12895.0.html

I understand that ASRock has a better name for VT-d on chipsets that don't officially support it (like Z87) but by now am overwhelmed by lust for the UD3H. If anyone could point me to evidence of a reasonable chance of success then I would be a) extremely grateful and b) all over this board so hard it wouldn't even be funny my god no.

Many thanks for reading!
Andrew