Official GIGABYTE Forum

Driving dual analog displays from F2A85XM-D3H

Driving dual analog displays from F2A85XM-D3H
« on: July 18, 2013, 06:03:51 pm »
I want to drive two existing VGA (analog) displays from my F2A85XM-D3H and am wondering what is the best and lowest cost way to do it.
First display is driven by the so-called D-Sub output.  For the second display:
(1) Another graphics board?   I did try an old Radeon board and couldn't get that working, driver issue?  Do I need to use a specific board?
(2) HDMI to VGA converter.  Never used one of these before - are the low cost ones any good I wonder?
(3) DVI-D to VGA converter.  Not used one of these either - there are some very cheap ones available. 
Hopefully someone has done this already!

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
Re: Driving dual analog displays from F2A85XM-D3H
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 06:52:19 pm »
What you want can t be done dirt cheap.
The usual  DVI to VGA converters will not work.
You will need something that actively does the job.The classic DVI to VGA does only some redirecting of existent signal which is not the case to the DVI outputs on the FM2.
The price for such converters is maybe similar to a cheap video card
In your place i would buy a cheap video card.

I ve used a HDMI to S-Video converter before getting a modern(non-CRT) TV ,but there were limitations ,it really depends on the quality of the converter what you get.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:53:04 pm by Vezina »
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

Re: Driving dual analog displays from F2A85XM-D3H
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:47:56 am »
There's aften confusion out there between the various types of DVI.  -A, -D, -I
The very cheap "converters" as you say just re-route the analog pins from DVI-A or DVI-I to a VGA style D-Sub connector.  No good on this mobo, since the output is DVI-D and as you say a proper "converter" is needed to convert the digital signals into analog, probably an active device.  But I am intrigued by products such as this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DVI-D-Male-Female-Converter-Adapter/dp/B009C6LMT6/ref=pd_cp_computers_1#productDetails
...which seem to show a DVD-D connector on one side, so apparently this should convert the digital output to analog VGA.  BUT, some of the buyer feedback claims it does not work, is this because it relies on some specific signals that are not on every DVI-D?  Hence my post to see if there is anyone with my F2A85XM-D3H that has used a specific device.  BTW, I don't want to buy an expensive converter, a new display would be cheaper!

I am not keen to buy another graphics card just to try, since I couldn't get the first one I tried working.  If anyone has used a specific card successfully, then I might well try that.