Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-B75N mini PCI-E compatible with mSATA?

Eppie

GA-B75N mini PCI-E compatible with mSATA?
« on: July 23, 2013, 12:15:22 pm »
Hi All,

I'm about to buy a GA-B75N mobo, but before that I would like to have an answer on the following. The product specification of this mobo mentions it has a mini pci-e slot. However, is it compatible with mSATA?

Looking at wikipedia on mSATA, I can read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#mSATA):

"The connector is similar in appearance to a PCI Express Mini Card interface,[34] and is electrically compatible; however, the data signals (TX±/RX± SATA, PETn0 PETp0 PERn0 PERp0 PCI-express) need connection to the SATA host controller instead of the PCI-express host controller."

I have also read on the internet (I do not remember where) that some mobo's have some circuitry to be able to connect the data signals to either the SATA controller or the PCI-express controller (via a jumper or in some other way).

I would like to use it for a small SSD to boot from and have the other SATA ports available for my HDD's (NAS).

Does the GA-B75N has this functionality?

Best wishes,
Erwin

Re: GA-B75N mini PCI-E compatible with mSATA?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 03:27:15 am »
it should be compliant with mSATA, the mini pcie slot is a regular spec for the devices of same connectors.

Eppie

Re: GA-B75N mini PCI-E compatible with mSATA?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 12:24:49 pm »
it should be compliant with mSATA, the mini pcie slot is a regular spec for the devices of same connectors.

Thanks for your information MegaMouse. However, I'm not 100% convinced. I know mSATA and mini PCI-E have the same form factor and have the same electrical specification. But, how is the wiring performed on the Gigabyte motheboard? As I said in my opening post (and also stated at wikipedia), there are some wiring either routed to the PCI-E controller or to the mSATA controller, or to both provided there is some ciruitry that provides this.