Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z87X-UD3H - rear (Marvell) eSATA ports

Z87X-UD3H - rear (Marvell) eSATA ports
« on: August 05, 2013, 03:46:40 am »
I have two issues w/ w/c I need assistance:
1.  Trying to get my rear eSATA ports to work.

I tried searching but I couldn't find clear descriptions on the 3 different Marvell drivers from GB's Z87X-UD3H drivers site:
Marvell Storage Utility (4.1.0.2013), Marvell SATA Controller Driver (1.0.0.1061), and Marvell Preinstall Driver (1.2.0.1035)

I've only installed Marvell SATA Controller, and also the later Marvell mv91xx v1.2.0.1035.

With this, I'm trying to use my eSATA ports at the back panel but every time I attach the eSATA cable, everything seems to drag & slow down (i.e. mouse barely moves). It immediately goes back to normal as soon as I detach the cable. In the BIOS (FW 7a, EDIT: now 7c, same issue), I have Marvell SATA forced to eSATA and in AHCI mode for GSATA Controller. Though I already tried AUTO, nothing changed.

I'm aware that the Marvell eSATA ports are shared with the grey internal SATA ports (6 & 7), w/c is why all my internal drives are plugged in to the Intel ports, and have nothing plugged in the grey internal ports.

For info, I use 2 external drives that work in my other PC through a JMicron PCI controller card.
WD20EARS-00MVWB0 2TB - in a generic enclosure with eSATA port.
WD20EARX-00PAS80 2TB - in a Startech dock with eSATA port.

2.  When copying large files (i.e. 4GB files or larger) transmission speeds slow down (from around 150MB/s to ??kb/s).  FWIW, I'm already using iRST 12.7.1.1000.  I notice inside iRST that SATA transmission initially shows 6Gb/s, then when the copying process slows down, checking/refreshing iRST for the drive then shows SATA transmission as 1.5Gb/s.  I always have to reboot to reset the speed, but after copying large files again, it starts to slow down again.  Copying smaller files seem to be fine.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 03:58:40 am by sherpa25 »