Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z87 When will Gigabyte fix the 4 DIMM memory issue?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Z87-D3HP When will Gigabyte fix the 4 DIMM memory issue?
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2014, 04:33:48 am »
Anybody that is going to throw the board in a scrapheap or trash throw them my way I'll make them work.  ;D
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2014, 03:27:15 am »
I have two sets of DIMMS and two computers.

The memory sets I use are as follows :

Set 1 - 4 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz 10-10-10-27
Set 2 - 4 x 4 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24

I've tested both of these sets with my new Gigabyte Z87-D3HP Motherboard

When I use the 8GB DIMMS I get constant crashes
When using the 4GB DIMMS it never crashes.

I might add that I placed the problematic 8GB DIMMS into another PC with the Gigabyte motherboard (GA-Z68XP-UD5) and ran a memory test on them for 5 days and it worked perfectly without any errors.

The issue for me at least appears to be related only to the 8GB DIMMS and the Z87-D3HP Motherboard.

I installed various linux distributions on this PC at first and it crashed several times, then I installed Windows 7 and started getting the blue screen issues.

I'm using the 4GB DIMMS in the Z87-D3HP right now and it's working fine.

The 8GB DIMMs are also working fine in the older PC on the GA-Z68XP-UD5

So the memory is confirmed good for me but this motherboard (Z87-D3HP) has issues with the 8GB DIMMS that cause it to randomly crash.

Hey mate I got same issue as you when I was running Z87-D3HP F6 BIOS, my memory model is CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10. Fortunately it seems to be fixed after I updating F7a BIOS from the link below.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html

You might give it a try buddy. Good luck!

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2014, 05:30:15 am »
I use a Z87-DS3H from them. Worst board I've owned in my life, but Hackintosh. Same problem. I can't use more than 2 bays or it locks up. I contacted Gigabyte and they basically replied with a bunch of questions totally irrelevant... including asking me about the specs of the RAM I'm running... which I had given them the exact model number of...

I'm using Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz RAM. It's on their list of supported RAM. I'm using a Gigabyte NVIDA GTX760 card. Liquid cooled i7-4770k. This is ridiculous. I'm actually contemplating sending them a copy of my receipt (bought it all about a month ago at a place with a 2 week return policy) and telling them I want my money back.... but judging by the reply I've already gotten from these people, I'm guessing they won't be able to figure out what the character we commonly refer to as numbers on the receipt are.

rickas

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2014, 12:49:08 pm »
Can anyone try this fix?
It seems that this guy could solve the problem using the manual profile and increasing the value of trrd, tfAW and tRFC.

Complete post:

Hi guys, just to share, I think I found the problem with 4 dimm memory instability on haswell gigabyte (Z87/H87)

I collect a lot of information about memory changes from z68/z77 to z87 and found that memory subtimings has changed, and now we have "haswell compatible memory" for some brands. I didnt find all changes but it clear to me that tRFC and tFAW have higher values now.

and comparing some memory brands who has 16GB (2 sticks) and 32GB (4 sticks) on the same model/IC, I also found tRFC and tFAW higher on the 4 sticks kit.

so, first conclusion is: HASWELL NEEDS HIGHER tRFC and tFAW and 4 DIMM needs even HIGHER values.

I dont know how other motherboard brands solve this, but gigabyte still isnt fix the 4 dimm problem on their boards, you can see a few users happy using brand new memories from QVL (gigabyte have a very small ones) but there is a lot of people still getting problems.

I have a old 16GB 4 DIMM memory kit with works fine at 2 DIMM XMP 1600Mhz 1.35v at my H87 board, but wont work at all with 4 DIMM. i try everything: lowering timing/latency, increase System Agent,, IO Digital/Analog voltage and several others tricks without success. But I didnt try on sub-timings values and when I see the values I notice that are VERY LOW tRFC and tFAW compating to other 4 DIMM kit. it seems tRRD is also related to tFAW, so i recommend higher a little (I use 8)

so, if you can try a little experiment with 4 dimm, do this:

1) note (or print/photo) all RAM TIMINGS you are using on XMP profile.
2) disable XMP profile and put memory timing on MANUAL
3) change manually all timings values to the XMP values you printed, but increase tRFC to 280˜310 and tFAW to 50˜80, also change tRRD to 8 or higher ..... it seems this could solve the problem with 4 dimm... (**)
4) adjust memory voltage to XMP values and memory multiplier to 1600MHz (depending on RAM, it could be changed...)
5) put the memory mode to NORMAL or ENHANCE STABILITY. verify if command rate is 2T

Reboot and check in BIOS if the values are ACTUALLY set (in my H87, they only changed after a cold boot: remove power cord - or turn of power switch if you have - for 20 seconds and turn on again).

do a Cold boot and check if the values still there.

then go to OSX/Windows and run some benchmarks. check the timing values inside windows (AIDA, Everest, etc. I don't know how to check in OSX) to see if it still there even if you reboot or cold boot.

You don't need to change voltages or other settings with works well with 2 DIMM, just these two timing values.

(**) these values almost double from memory kits with use double side ram or has 2 and 4 dimm configurations (same model/chip). So it seems theses values have direct relation with memory density. Also, older memory modules (launched before haswell) has 120˜160 tRFC and 28˜40 tFAW, but the new ones (advertising as haswell compatible) has higher values. tRRD is related to tFAW, the minimum possible value is 4 and some 4 dimm kits on gigabyte QVL has tRRD 6, 7 or 8. I recommend 8 for stabilty.

gigabyte bios has bugs, in my case it require a cold boot to change values, but i think it is possible to do manually solve this issue if we understand exactly where the problems is.

share your comments here about this experiment. please.

at least with my memory kit, it seems to be solved. I'm now running 4 DIMM 16GB 1.35v 1600MHz replicating XMP profile at manual mode (but increase tRFC and tFAW) without changing any other voltage parameters for 30 hours free of crashes.

(english is not my natural language)

Source: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/125717-fix-gigabyte-4-dimm-memory-instability.html

psycho

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2014, 05:00:36 pm »
The only way I "fixed" this was by enabling the onboard intel graphics, whatever the BIOS version and fixes.

Re: Z87 When will Gigabyte fix the 4 DIMM memory issue?
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2014, 06:32:38 am »
I also had the dreaded issues with 4 sticks of RAM.

My system ran flawlessly with 2x4GB G.Skill RAM Ripjaws by themselves

I first ran this PC3-2400 Ripjaws X  8GB set by itself for 24hrs using XMP profile and adjusted the voltage to 1.66Volts
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231666

When I added my second set of G.Skill PC3-2400 Sniper with the same wait states but different model
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231667
The system would power on, do some post codes, shut off, power back on, do post codes and then off again forever until I killed the power

I did finally get all 4 to work but I had to start with the pair of 4GB G.Skill Sniper PC3-2400 first in the A slots
I turned off XMP profile and did a manual setup with the wait states as specified at 11-13-13-31 and left the others on auto
I turned off the CPU energy saving features so that my i3-4330 is locked at a constant 3.5GHz
I used the standard memory speed adjustments then dialed in at PC3-1600 with the wait states at 11-13-13-31, the rest on Auto
I went into the CPU voltage settings and added  0.20 volts to the following and hit apply:
-System agent voltage
-CPU IO Analog
-CPU IO Digital

I saved and turned the power off, waited for the P/S to discharge and added the Ripjaws 2x4GB modules in the B channel
The system booted this time finally!!!!
I kept checking my voltage monitoring and wait states to make sure I was reading 1.66volts and my wait states were sticking.
I raised the memory multiplier to first get 1866 saved and rebooted.
To my surprise it started and I went into the BIOS to make sure voltages and wait states were sticking again.
I raised all 4 sticks to 2133MHz and at  11-13-13-31 times, 1.66 volts (rated 1.65)
Saved and restarted, it went into the BIOS again. Everything looked good.

Right now I am stability testing. I am going to run all 4 modules (16GB) all night on Memtest86+ 4.20 all night at 2133MHz
Its 1:30AM and I don't have any errors yet after only 35minutes.
I will check this in the morning.
I may just leave them at 2133 and call it quits at this point. The difference between 2133 and their default rates of 2400 is pretty much bragging rights.

OH, I forgot to mention I am using the F8 BIOS. I cannot seem to get the F9 to install with either @BIOS in Win 8.1 or off the USB stick flashing from inside the BIOS GUI
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:34:33 am by MHzTweaker »

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2014, 03:57:43 pm »
I also had the dreaded issues with 4 sticks of RAM.

My system ran flawlessly with 2x4GB G.Skill RAM Ripjaws by themselves

I first ran this PC3-2400 Ripjaws X  8GB set by itself for 24hrs using XMP profile and adjusted the voltage to 1.66Volts
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231666

When I added my second set of G.Skill PC3-2400 Sniper with the same wait states but different model
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231667
The system would power on, do some post codes, shut off, power back on, do post codes and then off again forever until I killed the power

I did finally get all 4 to work but I had to start with the pair of 4GB G.Skill Sniper PC3-2400 first in the A slots
I turned off XMP profile and did a manual setup with the wait states as specified at 11-13-13-31 and left the others on auto
I turned off the CPU energy saving features so that my i3-4330 is locked at a constant 3.5GHz
I used the standard memory speed adjustments then dialed in at PC3-1600 with the wait states at 11-13-13-31, the rest on Auto
I went into the CPU voltage settings and added  0.20 volts to the following and hit apply:
-System agent voltage
-CPU IO Analog
-CPU IO Digital

I saved and turned the power off, waited for the P/S to discharge and added the Ripjaws 2x4GB modules in the B channel
The system booted this time finally!!!!
I kept checking my voltage monitoring and wait states to make sure I was reading 1.66volts and my wait states were sticking.
I raised the memory multiplier to first get 1866 saved and rebooted.
To my surprise it started and I went into the BIOS to make sure voltages and wait states were sticking again.
I raised all 4 sticks to 2133MHz and at  11-13-13-31 times, 1.66 volts (rated 1.65)
Saved and restarted, it went into the BIOS again. Everything looked good.

Right now I am stability testing. I am going to run all 4 modules (16GB) all night on Memtest86+ 4.20 all night at 2133MHz
Its 1:30AM and I don't have any errors yet after only 35minutes.
I will check this in the morning.
I may just leave them at 2133 and call it quits at this point. The difference between 2133 and their default rates of 2400 is pretty much bragging rights.

OH, I forgot to mention I am using the F8 BIOS. I cannot seem to get the F9 to install with either @BIOS in Win 8.1 or off the USB stick flashing from inside the BIOS GUI

Next day after 9 hours of MemTest86+, 8 passes, no errors with 4 sticks
Win 8.1 Pro, no issues, installed several apps

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2014, 12:55:50 am »
wow I've been pulling my hair out from the bsods tried so many things, just found this thread thanks !

Z87-D3HP motherboard with 4x 1600mhz corsair RAM
Always same BSODs "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA", is this it ?

Really random, memtest runs fine but afaik it's since it's not a memory issue, it won't show on memtest anyway.
Is there any way to stresstest the system to reproduce the bsods ?

I've got little time left, if I can't fix it soon I'll have to RMA it and go with some other brand cheers

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2014, 05:27:50 pm »
Today i returned a z87mx-d3h.
First I got instant freezes and after I manually set the voltages (raised them) and set the timing the system ran for 2 days non stop.

After reboot I got a freeze again.

I am tired of debugging Gigabyte Mainboards.

Anyone else experience the freezes with other brands (z87) Boards or are these freezes a Gigabyte z87 issue ?

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2014, 05:49:48 pm »
I'm going back ASUS!! The Maximus VI Formula is just... perfect!!
I returned a GA z87MX-D3H today.
Do you meanwhile have tried a ASUS Board ? They are also freezing ?

devhen

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2014, 05:26:16 pm »
@psycho is right, enabling on-board video fixes it.

Z87X-UD4H
i7-4770k
4x8gb Mushkin 997110 (1600mhz 9-9-9 1.35v)

With the i7's onboard video disabled and all four 8gb sticks in the board I got app crashes and BSOD's about every hour or two regardless of what timings or voltage I used. With onboard video enabled the crashes have gone away completely. Its 100% stable using the RAM's XMP profile with no additional BIOS changes.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:33:51 pm by devhen »

caniki

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2014, 03:13:41 pm »
The only way I "fixed" this was by enabling the onboard intel graphics, whatever the BIOS version and fixes.

I do also work.

I thought I was returning crazy.

at least 10 or 15 daily BSOD

thanks

PD: My English is not very good, sorry.

Z87X-UD3H --  BIOS F8
i7 - 4770k
4x4GB g.skill ripjaws z 1866
Win 8.1 update.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 03:15:21 pm by caniki »

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2014, 09:04:15 am »
Lowering memory to 1333hz fixed it for me (1 week and no bsods), but I find it inadequate solution

Cool, I'm going to try enabling onboard intel graphics as suggested (and get memory back to 1600hz)

Hikari

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2014, 08:53:10 pm »
I bought a Z87X-UD5H.

It's not even turning on because I'm using Haswell Refresh  ::)

I'm gonna use it with 32GB RAM. Now I'm afraid I have another boom to boom when I get the BIOS updated :(

« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2014, 05:00:58 am »
Update:

~4 days after switching back to 1666mhz memory and enabling internal graphics had a BSOD
Gonna finish building a backup pc, then switching main to asus motherboard
Been buying exclusive gigabyte hardware for 7 years, not touching anything from them again, lesson learnt
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:01:42 am by svartberg »