Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z87X-D3H keeps freezing

Ghanja

Z87X-D3H keeps freezing
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:35:10 am »
I deciced to put together a new system (full specs can be found in my signature) and right now I am suffering of some strange freezing symptoms and I am trying to find the cause of it.

- Freezing up just sitting there under idle
- Freezing while browsing with IE 10 (mouse movement suddenly is jerky and then freeze)
- Freezing under Prime95 load (this only happened once)
- Freezing under DCS World

I ran Memtest for over 5 hours and no errors were found. I did also disable C6/C7 in UEFI and at first it seemed to work but after playing DCS World for some time my rig froze up again. After that it even froze up when I had opened the NV display panel. My CPU temps are fine and my GPU temp is also ok (it goes up to about 79°! C running Furmark). Right now I am clueless on what to do. I don't get any BSOD at all - it just locks up.

nemo

Re: Z87X-D3H keeps freezing
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 12:56:07 pm »
I had the same problem plus boot loops. My board is at RMA now for the second time, first time I just got it back after 3 weeks with a note saying "works ok".

Do you have any other RAM to test with? I think the problems are caused by poor memory compatibility from gigabyte.
PC (Win 7 SP1 x64)
i5-4670K
GA-Z87M-D3H
2x8Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport (9-9-9-24)
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX650 GV-N650OC-2GI
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb
Corsair CX430M PSU

Ghanja

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 01:43:46 pm »
Hm, never had any boot-loops though. I don't have any other memory to test. I did have 4 sticks of 2 GB in it to start out - because of the problems and also because some information I got on other forums I "upgraded" to 2 x 4 GB. Besides loosing money through selling old and buy new memory I got nothing. It's just so frustrating ...

KonsG

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:52:40 pm »
Hi,

GA-87-D3H boards are faulty and have problems working with 4 memory sticks. A lot of people are experiencing the same problem including myself. See here:
http://forum.corsair.com/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=119923&page=4
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,13267.0.html

I swapped to Asus Z87-A and had no problems with the same 4 modules for over 2 months.

Ghanja

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 10:28:02 am »
Well you did not read my last posting - I was having These Problems with 2 DIMMs ...
While checking something in the UEFI I saw that my DIMM voltage was shown as 1.49V - I checked the Profile and according to that 1.50V was set.
Therefore I upped the voltage a bit (to 1.51V) - now UEFI and AIDA64 show 1.50V. Things have been running smooth for the last two days - no more freezes :)

KonsG

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 09:35:15 pm »
I did read your post. My reply was based on it. To anyone reading it, the wording seems to imply that you were having the problems with 4 sticks of 2GB each, then you replaced them with only 2, totaling the same amount of memory. Nothing was mentioned about whether the problems persisted after that.

As it stands, the board does have problems with 4 memory modules, as is evident from your case and widely reported by many others.