Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z87X-UD4H - ground loop hum from line out audio - anyone else?

tbessie

Hi all...

I know those might be specific to my particular build, but I'm getting a strong ground-loop hum from the "line out" port on the back of my GA-Z87X-UD4H ; I have rarely had this happen before in other builds I've done.

Funny thing, when I use the front headphone jack (connected to the audio header on the motherboard), I don't get that hum (well, a little bit, but barely noticeable compared to the back).

I read up on the subject, and folks had asked others if the metal of the I/O guard on the back panel was making contact with the metal of the case, to assure a good ground.  I noticed that this motherboard comes with foam on the inside of the I/O guard, which I wonder might be isolating any metal/metal contact and creating this ground loop.

Anyone used the rear line-out for powered speakers or headphones and gotten this hum?

- Tim

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-Z87X-UD4H - ground loop hum from line out audio - anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 03:43:28 am »
All of your grounding is through the MB power plug PSU and the wall plug. That is why they use a 3 prong plug.

I have a test station that is not metal. Any mother board I put on it works fine. Which one are you having a problem with?

Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out Jack (Orange)
Rear Speaker Out Jack (Black)
Side Speaker Out Jack (Gray)
Line Out Jack (Green)
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

tbessie

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 07:05:32 am »
All of your grounding is through the MB power plug PSU and the wall plug. That is why they use a 3 prong plug.

I have a test station that is not metal. Any mother board I put on it works fine. Which one are you having a problem with?

Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out Jack (Orange)
Rear Speaker Out Jack (Black)
Side Speaker Out Jack (Gray)
Line Out Jack (Green)

Which motherboard or which port? GA-Z87X-UD4H motherboard as mentioned, and line out (green) as mentioned.

My building has 3-conductor sockets, but the ground isn't attached to anything (very old building).  Do you think that is the most likely culprit?  I've used a "ground loop hum reducer" device in the past that seems to have helped - I think it's got some capacitors in it or something that moderate any ground loop hum.

- Tim

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 02:00:13 pm »
Yes that could be it. You computer is not really grounded. What kind heat do you have?

If it is steam or hot force water. Try running a wire to that to see if you can get a ground.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

tbessie

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 04:51:22 pm »
Yes that could be it. You computer is not really grounded. What kind heat do you have?

If it is steam or hot force water. Try running a wire to that to see if you can get a ground.

Sadly, I don't think I have an option like that, due to minimal access to any of the stuff behind the walls.  Building has no central heating, just a couple of electric heat blowers mounted into two of the rooms.  I had thought of running a ground wire out the window or something to water pipe, though it would look pretty ugly and obvious.

- Tim