Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z87 mx-d3h. System Resets on Graphics Load.

GA-Z87 mx-d3h. System Resets on Graphics Load.
« on: September 30, 2013, 11:28:52 am »
Have just built a new system on the GA-Z87 mx-d3h motherboard and having some issues. 

The Specs

GA-Z87 mx-d3h
i7 4771 (the locked one)
Corsair 750w Builder Series PSU
EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked (SC)

The Issue

The system resets immediately there is any load on the graphics card. 
This doesn't feel like a GPU problem as it's a complete reset, not a crash to desktop.  Also it happens very quickly, within a second, almost before anything has been rendered.

If I didn't know better, I'd say it was the power supply, but that's brand new and shold have plenty of amps on the single 12v rail.

I reverted to my old GTX660OC and managed to get 2 tests into a benchmark but then also had a reset, again suggesting it's something to do with the power being drawn by the card under load.

Wondering if I've missed any settings in the BIOS, or if anyone else has seen this issue?

Thanks in advance

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-Z87 mx-d3h. System Resets on Graphics Load.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 02:44:01 pm »
The bios is it up to date if not flash it the newest bios. People have been having issues with this same problem.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 10:12:26 pm »
Hello

Make sure the supplementary power direct to the card is connected properly.
Try another output from the PSU.
(which vid feed are you using: HDMi or DP?)
Regards SF

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 05:05:44 pm »
Apologies for the delayed response, have been away.

OK.  Have flashed the BIOS to F5 and problem still persists.

Power cables are correctly connected. 

Have tried the GPU in another machine and it's fine.

Going to try some new power cables on the off chance I have a faulty or failing one.

What about the load line calibration settings in the BIOS, do they not have to do with stability of power supply?

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 11:53:39 am »
Well I thought I'd update on where I've got to with this.

Having tested various BIOS settings, then RAM, GPU and Power Cables I went ahead and swapped out the Corsair CX750-M for the CoolerMaster Silent Gold 800w I have in another rig and the issue goes away.

Seems that the Corsair is just not up to the job, despite providing - on paper - more than enough Amps on the 12v rail (rated at 62 max, the GTX770 needs 42).  I'm assuming that it's either faulty or just not very good, so it will be going back to SCAN on RMA.

I've used Corsair before in builds and always found them to be reliable, but this has tainted my opinion somewhat, what a headache to have spent 2 full days messing around, all the time feeling sure the power supply would not be the culprit.  And it's not even my rig!  I swear it's the last time I build for someone else.  Thank god it survived the BIOS flash that I probably didn't need to do at all.

Re: GA-Z87x-d3h problem when I upgrade to win 8.1pro from win 8pro
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 05:21:31 pm »
My hardware is

MotherBoard Model Name : GA-Z87X-D3H(rev. 1.x)
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 1.x
BIOS Ver : 7
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GPU Brand : MSI      Model : GEFORCE GTX760
CPU Brand : Intel      Model : i7-4770      Speed : 3,4 GHZ
Operation System : Win 8.1 64-bit      SP :
Memory Brand : Corsair      Type : DDR3
Memory Size : 16 (2x8GB)     Speed : 1600
Power Supply : 650 W
Monitor:  LG 27EA73LM-P

When I  upgraded to win 8.1 pro from win 8 pro the system couldn' t boot with HDMI connection. It would boot only when I connect a VGA (D-SUB) cable to the monitor. Then it boots normaly and when win 8.1 pro boots I turn to HDMI connection and works perfect.But it is a problem!!!
From Microsoft support told me that it was a bios problem.
I don't know if my graphic card is UEFI vBios or Legacy vBios. MSI won't answer me about that.

Can anyone help me???