Official GIGABYTE Forum

GAZ87X-OC + i5 4670K + Noctua NHD14?

NicoX

GAZ87X-OC + i5 4670K + Noctua NHD14?
« on: November 04, 2013, 10:23:57 am »
Hi All,
I recently upgraded my system to GAZ87X-OC with i5 4670K. ;D
I am using Seasonic X850 as PSU.
My question here on my board is can I use Noctua NH D14 as CPU cooler with my board?  ???
I am trying to use GTX 780 in slot 1.
Will that hit my GPU with D14 fan clips? Actually Noctua says it MIGHT  ::) here http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_gen&products_id=34#LGA1150

Thanks in advance
NicoX
Regard
NicoX,

i5 4600K | 8GB x 4  GSkill Ripjaws X | Phantaks CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GAZ87X-OC | MSI GTX 760 HAWK | DLink DWA 556
Seasonic 850 X Glod
In Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GAZ87X-OC + i5 4670K + Noctua NHD14?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 07:45:26 am »
Hi NicoX,

I don't know the answer to this one and I can see that there could be an issue, from looking at the info on the Noctua website, but I have not had any experience of this myself.

That said, I would probably be prepared to try fitting the cooler and if I encountered a problem with the proximity of the Cooler to the backplate of the GPU then I would do a little modding to overcome the problem. All you need to do is make sure no metal part of the cooler is touching the backplate on the GPU and a thin sheet of plastic or some strategically placed rubber grommets should suffice to achieve this.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

NicoX

Re: GAZ87X-OC + i5 4670K + Noctua NHD14?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 07:25:12 am »
Hi NicoX,

I don't know the answer to this one and I can see that there could be an issue, from looking at the info on the Noctua website, but I have not had any experience of this myself.

That said, I would probably be prepared to try fitting the cooler and if I encountered a problem with the proximity of the Cooler to the backplate of the GPU then I would do a little modding to overcome the problem. All you need to do is make sure no metal part of the cooler is touching the backplate on the GPU and a thin sheet of plastic or some strategically placed rubber grommets should suffice to achieve this.

Sure Sir absic
I will try and revert about findings.
Just a question if I use the GPU in slot 2 can I get full BW ie 16X support?
Actually doing so will help me remove any chances of touching fan clips to GPU.

NiCoX
Regard
NicoX,

i5 4600K | 8GB x 4  GSkill Ripjaws X | Phantaks CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GAZ87X-OC | MSI GTX 760 HAWK | DLink DWA 556
Seasonic 850 X Glod
In Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced