Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z170X-Gaming 6 (rev. 1.0) showing dd code at boot and powers off after 60 sec

The Gigabyte splash screen appears for brief moment before going dark. The motherboard displays a series of diagnostic codes that end with A3 for a few seconds and then goes to 'dd'. After 10 seconds or so, the fans on the graphics card stop. After 60 seconds or so, the system shuts off.

References online indicate dd is 'Reserved'.

I pulled all components from the case, disconnected power connections and reseated everything. Sadly, the problem persisted.

Any ideas?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
A2 Detect and install all currently connected IDE devices.
A3 Activated all currently connected IDE devices.
A4 SCSI initialization is started.

DC Reset protocol is failed.
DE~DF Reserved.
E8 S3 resume is failed

The codes are in the book. There is no dd code. Do you have another PSU to try? What are you using for a CPU cooler and is it seated right on the CPU.

If you have a CPU, memory, & Video card problem 99% of the time it will go into a boot loop. Where you are having a power shut down it is more likely a power or over heat problem.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Thanks, dmdilks. I realize that dd is not in the book - - that's why I'm curious what it means. Can't seem to find anyone online who knows. I've seen a couple of other folks report the code but can't seem to find what it means.

The PSU is brand new - an EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 850. I did reseat the CPU fan - a Cooler Master Hyper D92 - but I will try again.

I very much appreciate your reply!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Have you tried booting with just a very basic build, CPU, one stick of RAM, mouse & keyboard using on-board graphics?

If not, I would try this. If you still can't get the PC to start, check the CPU socket for bent pins.

Can you post back with a full list of the hardware you are trying to use as this will help others in offering you practical advice?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
The PSU is brand new - an EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 850.

Not saying it could be the PSU but I have had they dead out of the box. I even one the 2nd time I turn it on flames came out of the back. I got board one time and power it on a 2 sec later it shut down wrong CPU. You will have your work cut out for you to check everything.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.