Official GIGABYTE Forum

Updating drivers for Windows 8.1

AndyM

Updating drivers for Windows 8.1
« on: November 16, 2013, 10:34:50 am »
My board is a GA Z77 D3H Rev 1.0 and I use a RAID mirror.  I have updated my operating system from Windows 8 pro 64 bit to Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit.  The Gigabyte site shows all new drivers for Windows 8.1 64 bit, including the RAID preinstall driver.  While my system is fairly stable using the old Windows 8 drivers, but with some minor freezes on Internet Exolorer11 which may not be a driver problem, I would like to update the drivers and see if it improves.

My question is, do I need to worry about the RAID preinstall driver as I do not want to reload my operating system?  If I need to update this driver, how can I achieve this without damaging my operating system or my files?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Updating drivers for Windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 02:44:09 pm »
The IE-11 is maybe the only problem you really have. Do a little research on the IE-11 before you jump the gun.

The preinstall drive is what it says it is. You really only use that driver to get things going. Look at all the devices in device manger.

For raid setup you will need I think the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology driver. If you update the drivers do it through device manger.

That way you know if you got the right driver. Just don't download them and start installing them.

But again if you are only having a problem with IE-11 I would do some research first.

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

AndyM

Re: Updating drivers for Windows 8.1
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 11:37:11 am »
Thank you for your advice.  I thought about the problem and phoned a friend who has a laptop with Windows 8.1.  I asked him to log onto a web site that was giving me trouble.  The one I selected was YouTube which freezes when entering a few characters in the search window.  He did this and his IE 11 froze.  So the problem is nothing to do with my desktop, but more to do with Windows 8.1 and/or IE 11