Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R wont post

GA-X58A-UD3R wont post
« on: February 17, 2010, 06:38:03 am »
Hello, I recently decided to build a new computer using this motherboard. When I went to first turn on the computer after assembling it would not POST, nor were there any beep codes heard. At this point I assumed it was the RAM so i took it out and the same lack of response/beeps. At the moment I do not have any extra DDR3 to test out to see if that is the issue. I also attempted to remove the Graphics card to see if it was stoping the process somewhere.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202
is the cpu

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226050
is the ram.

Also after rehooking everything up the CPU fan stopped running. When first hitting the power button the fan will spin and then stop while all other fans continue going.

Any help is greatly appreciated ;\

Am I assuming correct that if it was the ram it would atleast do a beep error code instead of being quiet?

UD6

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R wont post
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:54:46 am »
Did you connect ALL the power cables to the motherboard correctly? There is a 2x4 12 V too.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 06:58:24 am »
In the top-left corner? yes I did

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:46:01 am »
Did you try each stick of ram individually? Clear CMOS? Are you running with bare minimum plugged in? (CPU+heatsink/fan, 1 RAM stick, graphics & all power connections)
What PSU do you have? Is it possible to test it on another machine?
There's no place like ::1

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 05:10:21 pm »
the problem seems to  be a tad different then i mentioned. the cpu does indeed spin, just stops at the begining and the starts up again. After about 10 seconds or so after i power it on the leds (which are all on) turn off. Everything else keeps spinning though and I can eject the dvd drive (if that matters) I got some new ram to check today but same results. doesnt post and no beeps. the psu is a 650w corsair.

edit: This is exactly what happens:

I press power all fans and lights turn on and the cpu fan dies down. After about 4 seconds the cpu fan then turns on and the keyboard is then active. After another couple seconds the leds inside turn off. I can press ctrl+alt+del and it appears to be restarting the comp.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 06:13:32 pm by Kalashnikovvodka »

UD6

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 05:13:39 am »
If I understand you correctly you do not even get to the BIOS? Does your monitor show anything?

Take out/unplug everything from the MBO - not the CPU and look how far you get when you plug the parts in one by one again. Start with the graphic card.

Everything = the plugs from the case too. This is the last thing you should plug in again.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 05:16:29 am by UD6 »

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:09:21 am »
the problem seems to  be a tad different then i mentioned. the cpu does indeed spin, just stops at the begining and the starts up again. After about 10 seconds or so after i power it on the leds (which are all on) turn off. Everything else keeps spinning though and I can eject the dvd drive (if that matters) I got some new ram to check today but same results. doesnt post and no beeps. the psu is a 650w corsair.

I press power all fans and lights turn on and the cpu fan dies down. After about 4 seconds the cpu fan then turns on and the keyboard is then active. After another couple seconds the leds inside turn off. I can press ctrl+alt+del and it appears to be restarting the comp.

Did you try any of my above suggestions?
There's no place like ::1

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 03:08:53 pm »

Did you try any of my above suggestions?

i agree with what your saying ogg, could be a short in his system
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 04:23:21 pm »
It ended up being the graphics card. Lack of beep was me forgetting to add a mb speaker. Once I did it made the poswt beep for everything OK. I swapped out the gpu with a temp and it worked. Bought a 5870 yesterday (no 5970s in stock :( ). All good now.

One last question. Last night night I ran memtest for about 12hrs. During the 5th and 8th time around I obtained 2 errors (one each) in test 7. I am using timing listed on the ram as well as stock voltages.

Is this enough to think RMA?

(sorry for post leading into a question for another part of the forum.)

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 04:30:06 pm »
It ended up being the graphics card. Lack of beep was me forgetting to add a mb speaker. Once I did it made the poswt beep for everything OK. I swapped out the gpu with a temp and it worked. Bought a 5870 yesterday (no 5970s in stock :( ). All good now.

One last question. Last night night I ran memtest for about 12hrs. During the 5th and 8th time around I obtained 2 errors (one each) in test 7. I am using timing listed on the ram as well as stock voltages.

Is this enough to think RMA?

(sorry for post leading into a question for another part of the forum.)

no need for apologies, asking questions is how we learn and you do right mate!

12 hours is 12 hours, imagine if you weredoing something important that REALLY pushes the ram, all memtest does is essentially check for errors. try running prime95 on mixed tfts's with the lots of ram tested and see what happens.

If it takes roughly the same time or less to kick off then you certainly havea an issue. However i cannot say for sure whatthe RMA process for this is!

Push the ram using prime95 and come back with results buddy please. You have me fascinated now!

I am happy to see your other problem is sorted. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you need!

gilgamesh

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 04:45:21 pm »
I always thought prime95 was to stress test a cpu, but when I get home I will give it a whirl. I assume there are tutorials on how to use this to test the ram instead of for just finding primes?  :-X

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 04:49:19 pm »
I always thought prime95 was to stress test a cpu, but when I get home I will give it a whirl. I assume there are tutorials on how to use this to test the ram instead of for just finding primes?  :-X

its the option you use

when you open up
click on just stress testing
and select what test you want i.e the mixed tfts where it says (lots of ram tested) in brackets, thatsthe one you want!

I used that when i was reviewing some GEIL ddr3 2000 ram managed to get it to oc to 2160 but only stable for 10 mins when using prime95 ram testing mode