Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA- P55A- UD3P, IDE HDD not seen in BIOS

GA- P55A- UD3P, IDE HDD not seen in BIOS
« on: February 19, 2010, 11:20:51 pm »
Just put together a new build as follows with a good working used WD 80GB HDD.
GA-P55A-UD3P, i5 750, 4GB KINGSTON DDR3 1333, OCZ550FTY Power Supply, Gigabyte 4670 Video card, Win7 Pro 64 bit, Sony Optiarc DVD(SATA).

First time powered up. Post was ok. IDE HDD found in BIOS. CPU and ram verfied correct along with proper timings for ram.
Attempted OS install, got to the HDD partion screen and rcvd file format not recognized. Removed the HDD and re-formatted.
Second attempt, HDD not found in BIOS. After several reboots HDD seen by BIOS. Another attempt was made to install OS. No go. Several more attemps at reformatting and rebooting to get BIOS to see HDD. The jumper setting was verified to be correct(WD as a standalone drive requires no jumper). This HDD works in my other computer.
Tried another IDE cable and another IDE drive(CD rom) no luck.
Gigabyte phone support.....what a joke. Need help please.

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
Re: GA- P55A- UD3P, IDE HDD not seen in BIOS
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 01:50:48 pm »
Just put together a new build as follows with a good working used WD 80GB HDD.
GA-P55A-UD3P, i5 750, 4GB KINGSTON DDR3 1333, OCZ550FTY Power Supply, Gigabyte 4670 Video card, Win7 Pro 64 bit, Sony Optiarc DVD(SATA).

First time powered up. Post was ok. IDE HDD found in BIOS. CPU and ram verfied correct along with proper timings for ram.
Attempted OS install, got to the HDD partion screen and rcvd file format not recognized. Removed the HDD and re-formatted.
Second attempt, HDD not found in BIOS. After several reboots HDD seen by BIOS. Another attempt was made to install OS. No go. Several more attemps at reformatting and rebooting to get BIOS to see HDD. The jumper setting was verified to be correct(WD as a standalone drive requires no jumper). This HDD works in my other computer.
Tried another IDE cable and another IDE drive(CD rom) no luck.
Gigabyte phone support.....what a joke. Need help please.

First my apologies I have missed this post:

DO you have any other IDE device to test on that IDE controller?  Usually the IDE port is a jmicron/marvel chip i wonder if the extra sata ports (the NONE INTEL ones) are working also has usually its the same chip that controlls both. Possibly you have a defective board. Try another IDE device, if you do not have oen, i will glady loan you a 80gig IDE hdd (for testing this fault only) please note this is personal favour and is nothing to do with gigabyte!

gilgamesh
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news