Official GIGABYTE Forum

MA790G 2X2GB Unganged how to set to dual channel after proccessor upgrade

just bought a new amd phantom II X4 965BE and i noticed its not running in dual channel mode anymore so im wondering if i just have to move the second stick to bank 3 on the board. I have Kingston Hyp x 1066  if that helps

THANKS ;)

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: MA790G 2X2GB Unganged how to set to dual channel after proccessor upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 04:47:10 pm »
Dual channel mode is set in bios under the MIT settings it is the DRAM Configuration, DCTs Mode.

However there is little to gain by switching to ganged mode especially if you are planning to increase your memory in the future. Dual, triple and quad core CPU's actually gain a slifght performance edge in unganged mode where each core can address each channel indivdually.

Hope this helps
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

axemurderer

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 03:41:06 pm »
It´s duall channel anyway.Unganged=2x64bit memory channel.Gangeg 1x128bit memory channel.AMD´s pages will tell you if you dig deep enough.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 08:29:28 pm »
hey thanks guys, im kinda old school trying to learn the new stuff you guys been alot of help, I plan on getting more ram probably 4 more gb's, I also looked through the bios and found the setting to ganged or ungagnged, so ganged mde is better then ungagnged?

one more question slightly off topic here but you guys know the fastest ram i could upgrade to, since i bought this phanton 2 X4 965BE could i upgrade my ram speed to over 1200?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 08:32:30 pm by psoutrage »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 03:12:11 pm »
What is exact Mobo, MA790G is a bit vague? If it is using DDR2 memory then there is little to gain by uping the speed of the memory (if you can find anything faster) If you are running DDR3 then the speed you can get will be reliant on your motherboard. However, if you go above 1333Mhz you will most probably have to tweak around in bios to get it to run at the higher speed as the Mobo will default to 1333Mhz.

Actually to restate the point about ganged and unganged, basically there is a very slight performance gain if you are using a quad core processor by going unganged as each core will address each individual stick of RAM as needed.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 06:58:27 am »
sorry my mother board is a GIGABYTE MA790GP-UD4H
 I dont believe it supports DDR3 though only DDR2 but it states it can run memory faster then 1200

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 01:08:34 pm »
I personally wouldn't consider upping the speed of your memory with your current Mobo. You are right it will go to 1200 but faster DDR2 memory is getting harder to find (in the UK) and most that is available is no faster than what you currently have and the speed gain wouldn't really be noticed.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 07:45:17 pm »
thanks axeshampoo  and absic115  for your help like I said im from the P4 days and knew just about everything in the bios how to tweak and all that good stuff however ive had some old PC's up until now and wow theres just so much now in the bios. Anyways thanks again guys:)

Im not looking to OC this mobo I believe it can handle just about anything to this date without slow down.  So I  dont see overclocking a rig thats already built for speed. i just need more ram:)