Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z87X-UD4H turns back on after i shut down in the os.

mk16

GA-Z87X-UD4H turns back on after i shut down in the os.
« on: December 19, 2013, 12:26:16 am »
so like the topic says after i shut down in the OS (linux mint 16) my computer will turn back on 5 seconds after the cpu fan turns off.

now this only happens when wake on lan is enabled once i disable it my computer will shut down and stay off.
anyone see or hear of this before? i have the latest bios from gigabyte ( F7 ) so its not in need of an update.

also what should my plan of action be from here on out if im the only one that has this problem and gigabyte aren’t working on a fix?

tbessie

Re: GA-Z87X-UD4H turns back on after i shut down in the os.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 04:04:31 am »
I've had problems like that when my motherboard (or Intel NIC driver, can't recall) had the "wake on pattern" feature enabled, tho' not with this motherboard.  Look that up, it might be causing your problem; when I was having it, random IP traffic was causing the NIC to wake because the pattern it was looking for matched the random packets.

- Tim

mk16

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 04:11:28 am »
I've had problems like that when my motherboard (or Intel NIC driver, can't recall) had the "wake on pattern" feature enabled, tho' not with this motherboard.  Look that up, it might be causing your problem; when I was having it, random IP traffic was causing the NIC to wake because the pattern it was looking for matched the random packets.

- Tim

hmm only problem is i tested with out the Ethernet cable plugged in and it still rebooted after every shut down.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 06:03:20 am »
In Startup and Recovery, try disabling the "Automatic Restart" option and see if that stops it from happening. If it does then it's probable an application is crashing each time as the computer is shutting down so it then goes into a restart.

mk16

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 10:43:38 am »
In Startup and Recovery, try disabling the "Automatic Restart" option and see if that stops it from happening. If it does then it's probable an application is crashing each time as the computer is shutting down so it then goes into a restart.

tried in multiple os'es and it restarts
dont think its a program crashing.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 08:31:02 pm »
My GA-Z87X-UD4H system is up and running for a couple of days now, and I also find that it reboots most of the time after shutdown.  My OS is Linux Mint 16.  Shutting down with "sudo shutdown -h now" from command line results in same behavior.  I have also found that disabling WOL fixes the problem. 

I think that I can live without WOL, but this shouldn't be happening.

mk16

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 12:14:24 am »
My GA-Z87X-UD4H system is up and running for a couple of days now, and I also find that it reboots most of the time after shutdown.  My OS is Linux Mint 16.  Shutting down with "sudo shutdown -h now" from command line results in same behavior.  I have also found that disabling WOL fixes the problem. 

I think that I can live without WOL, but this shouldn't be happening.

so seems like this is some what of a common problem because i've seen to threads mention a "WoL problem"