Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X99 ULTRA GAMING Motherboard Red Lights and Won't Post

GA-X99 ULTRA GAMING Motherboard Red Lights and Won't Post
« on: December 24, 2016, 12:27:34 am »
Hey everyone,

I bought myself a new motherboard, CPU and RAM, and have had nothing but trouble trying to get it to work.

When I turn the PC on, my motherboard lights up white for a few seconds, then change to red, then reboots with red lights on, and stays on, after a minute or two the graphics card fans stop spinning.

I have tried absolutely everything I can think off.

- Booting the PC with no RAM, or CPU, it will reboot instantly and repeatedly.
 - Tried different RAM sticks, 2 sticks at a time, and 1 on it's own
 - Tried booting with and without hard drives plugged in
 - Checked the CPU socket to bent pins, they don't look bent to me, nor the 3 other people I've asked
 - Tried booting without the graphics card (obviously I'd get no post then, but I was seeing if it would do anything differently, which is doesn't)
 - Rebuilt it out of the case
 - Tried flashing the motherboard to latest BIOS using a formatted FAT32 memory stick inserted in the white USB port, with the file renamed to GIGABYTE.BIN (no change in boot at all)
 - Tried flashing with RAM or CPU removed
 - Read the manual a lot of times
 - Read the internet a lot of times
 - Read the same thing over and over a lot of times
 - Checked that all my parts are compatible with each other (apparently they are)
 - All the fans spin, hard drives power up
 - Tried resetting CMOS

Anyway, here's my hardware and a video on the boot process https://youtu.be/59ynZKCWsEM

GIGABYTE GA-X99 ULTRA GAMING Motherboard LGA2011-3 Socket
Intel Core i7-6850K (The box says LGA2011, but the internet says LGA2011-3. Is this normal?)
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) LPX DDR4 RAM
MSI GeForce GTX 970
700w power supply

This is a horrible week, if anyone can help me I will be so grateful, I've been building for about 5 years and I've never ever had so much trouble.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 12:48:06 am by kdonnelly2015 »

Re: GA-X99 ULTRA GAMING Motherboard Red Lights and Won't Post
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 01:00:21 am »
Have you try another PSU? I have had new PSU not work. What brand is it? By what the site says on the bios F2 should work with that CPU. Now the memory yes it should work at the default setting of 2133.

Thanks for your reply! I haven't got any other PSU's I can try unfortunately, but this is from my previous build which was working absolutely fine and never had a problem with it, it's an Ocz Stealthxstream Ii 700w, nothing special but it's never been a problem in the past. As for my RAM It's 3200mhz, if that's what you mean? Which according to their website is compatible, they are 8gb sticks.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 01:01:01 am by kdonnelly2015 »

Re: GA-X99 ULTRA GAMING Motherboard Red Lights and Won't Post
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 12:41:47 pm »
**UPDATE**

I bought a motherboard speaker, which clicks instead of beeps, weird but whatever.

I get 5 clicks, PC reboots, then 5 more clicks before turning off. According to my searches this means it's a CPU error, which I kind of expected.

The question now is, is there anyway of me knowing for sure whether it's the motherboard socket thats the issue, or the CPU itself? Because if it's the motherboard I'll just order a new one from MSI and send the old one back, however the CPU being £500 I can't afford to buy a second one just to test it.