Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-990FXA-UD5 Not Waking Up from Sleep Correctly

GA-990FXA-UD5 Not Waking Up from Sleep Correctly
« on: May 08, 2013, 08:20:03 pm »
I've been having this issue for a bit now and it's really getting on my nerves. I did the initial Google search to and tried several different things, but alas...nothing. It has not been fixed.

The Issue: I put my computer into sleep mode and when it goes into a low-power sleep...it won't wake up unless I turn the PSU off for a bit and then start it back up. Once it starts back up, I get a "Main BIOS Checksum Error" it restores the BIOS and it wakes up like normal. I have to update the BIOS again, but that's no biggie.

MB: GA-990FXA-UD5 Rev 1.2 (It's on F12a right now, but I have flashed F11 and it still works)
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Stock Fan and I have reseated it and 100% sure I installed it correctly
(if you guys need anything else, let me know)

All drivers are up-to-date (as far as I know) via Gigabyte's website, NOT by Windows Update. I have STR3 enabled, but everything else should be default as I load optimized defaults after every BIOS flash. Also, I don't overclock it.

Things I've tried
  • Reflashing BIOS via QFLASH (and loading defaults) with that...DPI Pool (I believe) Checked and Unchecked
  • Checking each RAM stick separately in each slot. Funny thing is it will work the first time it sleeps, but the very next...nada
  • Disabling everything but the mouse from waking the computer
  • Clearing CMOS by removing the battery. Again, it will work for a bit but return.
  • I tried getting a power report using the command line powercfg -energy but it won't generate the report. It just shows a blank web page with a FILE NOT FOUND error.

I'm at a loss. The board's only a few months old and I don't want to have to send it back if it's just an easy fix...although I haven't found any fix for it yet. Any help is appreciated and thanks again in advance.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:34:34 pm by nexus_nick »

AgentFXA

• none
Re: GA-990FXA-UD5 Not Waking Up from Sleep Correctly
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 01:23:12 am »
"Main BIOS Checksum Error" usually indicates a bad system board but try an older bios version first and flush/reset the bios
X570 Aorus Elite Wifi / Ryzen 2700x / Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900 XT Gaming OC 20G Graphics Card / 16 GB HyperX Predator 3200 / SeaSonic 850W / Tt View 71 TG / Win10x64

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 06:37:43 am »
Again, I tried that and it has come to the same result. Now, here's what's weird. Usually the whole "Main BIOS Checksum Error" will occur even when you power up if it is a bad board, but this is ONLY occurring after I try to wake it up from sleep? I.E. If I never put this thing to sleep, this will never happen. I'm curious...would that even damage it? Is it really even an issue and if it is, is it a known issue in these models of boards and GB just needs to patch it?

AgentFXA

• none
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 06:56:03 am »
Not sure if Win8 got its fingers dirty in that matter...

tried a different graphics card?
X570 Aorus Elite Wifi / Ryzen 2700x / Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900 XT Gaming OC 20G Graphics Card / 16 GB HyperX Predator 3200 / SeaSonic 850W / Tt View 71 TG / Win10x64

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 07:56:45 am »
Not sure if Win8 got its fingers dirty in that matter...

tried a different graphics card?

I actually have an OOOOOOOLLLLLDDDDD EVGA 7950 GT and I tried it out....still happens. Again, like all the other times, it will work a couple of times in low-power deep sleep, but it will eventually return to the Main BIOS Checksum Error...I'm chalking this up to Win8 issues.

AgentFXA

• none
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 08:15:24 am »
Yep, install win7 and no such issues  ;D

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 09:12:00 am »
Yep, install win7 and no such issues  ;D

;D If only that were possible. I think it's time to contact GB and see if it is a known issue they are working on or something I can get replaced.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 04:55:07 pm »
I've been having this issue for a bit now and it's really getting on my nerves. I did the initial Google search to and tried several different things, but alas...nothing. It has not been fixed.

The Issue: I put my computer into sleep mode and when it goes into a low-power sleep...it won't wake up unless I turn the PSU off for a bit and then start it back up. Once it starts back up, I get a "Main BIOS Checksum Error" it restores the BIOS and it wakes up like normal. I have to update the BIOS again, but that's no biggie.

MB: GA-990FXA-UD5 Rev 1.2 (It's on F12a right now, but I have flashed F11 and it still works)
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Stock Fan and I have reseated it and 100% sure I installed it correctly
(if you guys need anything else, let me know)

All drivers are up-to-date (as far as I know) via Gigabyte's website, NOT by Windows Update. I have STR3 enabled, but everything else should be default as I load optimized defaults after every BIOS flash. Also, I don't overclock it.

Things I've tried
  • Reflashing BIOS via QFLASH (and loading defaults) with that...DPI Pool (I believe) Checked and Unchecked
  • Checking each RAM stick separately in each slot. Funny thing is it will work the first time it sleeps, but the very next...nada
  • Disabling everything but the mouse from waking the computer
  • Clearing CMOS by removing the battery. Again, it will work for a bit but return.
  • I tried getting a power report using the command line powercfg -energy but it won't generate the report. It just shows a blank web page with a FILE NOT FOUND error.

I'm at a loss. The board's only a few months old and I don't want to have to send it back if it's just an easy fix...although I haven't found any fix for it yet. Any help is appreciated and thanks again in advance.

Hello,

I have the same motherboard and the exact same issue as you. PC Specs:
MB: GA-990FXA-UD5 Rev3.0 - BiosRev: FCb
CPU: FX-8530
RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600 9-9-9-24-CR2
GPU: GTX580 Point of View
PSU: Corsair TX850W

I do overclock but besides this problem i haven´t had any other issues. The system is very stable.
The annoying thing is that i use sleep often and it does the exact same thing you mention in your post, this leads me to believe it might be a bios issue? I guess i'll have to speak to Gigabyte too as i see nothing on the net that has helped. I too have tried all the above mentioned fixes to no avail.

Hope someone can shine some light on this.

Chris
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:15:13 pm by Chris1983 »

MisterEd

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 05:10:08 am »
MB: GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev1.0 - BIOS: F6
CPU: FX-8530
RAM:G.SKILL RipjawsX 9-9-9-25-33
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 560
PSU: Antec TP-650
UPS: APC Back-UPS RS 800VA

I have a problem that may be similar. My power setting are such that after so many hours my computer will go into hybrid sleep mode. Sometimes after it goes to sleep I can't get the computer to wake up by pressing a key on the keyboard. Pressing the power button on the PC has no effect. I then have to power down the UPS and power it back on. After the UPS is finished with its self test I press the PC power button again. The PC then powers up normally.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.0 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | Windows 7 Ult 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2 (4x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 | Windows 7 Home Prem  64-bit