Official GIGABYTE Forum

Random shutdowns and PC starts on its own - Loose CPU socket ??

hal8000

Random shutdowns and PC starts on its own - Loose CPU socket ??
« on: December 23, 2013, 08:25:44 am »
I see many posts with the random shutdown.  My PC will also start up by itself but sometimes never gets
further than the BIOS screen.

In my case I have an Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 with Intel 1156 socket.

I've had the problem for about 15 days now and believe I may have found the problem.
A close inspection of a working motherboard against my faulty motherboard has highlighted
that the 3  T20 torx screws on the working motherboard have more thread protruding through
the rear plate.

Using a T20 torx screwdriver I did find that one screw has worked loose giving a 1/4 turn to
tighten it.

If this happens then the latch that holds the Intel Core i5 in the socket may possibly cause the
processor pins to make intermittent contact.

I am awaiting advice though in case the screws have to be tensioned to a torque setting.
Could overtightening the screws create more pressure on the socket holding the CPU in place?

If there is no special torque setting then over time, I guess vibration could cause the scews on
the sockets to work loose, it could be the cause of many intermittent shutdown and startup errors.

Anyone else with similar problem?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Random shutdowns and PC starts on its own - Loose CPU socket ??
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 02:45:14 pm »
In all the years working on computers you are the first one I ever heard of this. Even if they did come loose you still had the cooler in place holding down the CPU.

Which one was loose the single one or one of the other two. All you should have to do is tighten them. When was the last time did you clean the inside of the case.

It sounds more like something is starting to fail. It could be the PSU or a over heating problem.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

hal8000

Re: Random shutdowns and PC starts on its own - Loose CPU socket ??
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 09:46:05 pm »
Well, outcome was the motherboard is faulty and dow not allow my PC to boot.
Ever the optimist I thought the 1/4 turn (though in reality may have been 1/8 turn)
made no difference.

I have an identical set of parts and looks like my original and second hand replacement
GA-P55A-UD3 board have developed the same fault.

The screw which only tightened a small amount was one on the bottom two screws
on the 1156 latch plate.