Official GIGABYTE Forum

BIOS Help for GA-MA790XT-UD4P

BIOS Help for GA-MA790XT-UD4P
« on: February 27, 2010, 08:15:23 pm »
Hi, I have put a new system together with the following components-
M.Board-Gygabyte- GA-MA-790XT-UD4P
G.Card-  2GB XFX nVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 SLI 1GB HD
Memory- 4GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz NQ Series (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel kit
I chose to make it a dual boot OS as I expected Win7 compatibility problems with software and hardware which I have had but that is another subject.  Win XPpro & Win 7 (both 64bit) are installed.
I updated the BIOS to ‘mb bios ga-ma790-ud4p f8b’ described as ‘Beta’. (Don’t know if that was a good idea or not).  It did say that the update was successful though it still shows as 2.4 in System Info.
Now I need to maximize its capabilities. At the moment it is not what I expected regarding speed so I think I need to make some changes to the BIOS, something I know very little about. I hope this isn’t too much to ask and I think it could possibly be easier for someone who has the same type of setup.
I’m not really interested in over clocking but would like to take advantage of the memory speed which at the moment is set to 1332MHz (default I presume). I am not sure if the full power of the quad processor is fully active or not.
I know things are not right as I have experienced the default wav.file warning a few times i.e. ‘Danger Danger’. I have played the only game I have which my son gave me ‘Far Cry 2’. It played OK but the warning sounds came after closing the game so I presumed the game had changed settings that hadn’t changed back but a reboot solved the problem.
I have tried the ‘Gigabyte Online Management’ tool as I thought it might save requesting this information but I get the message- ‘No Computer is Find Rescan Again’. Don’t know where they went to school whoever wrote that but rescanning doesn’t help.
I am including image files from ‘Easytune6’ i.e. ‘CPU’,’Memory’   in case in helps. I don't think 'Tuner details witll show due to upload limitations. Sorry 'Tuner' image was the only one to show, please let me know if you need more details.Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 08:19:59 pm by Itsteve »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: BIOS Help for GA-MA790XT-UD4P
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 10:28:30 am »
You will have to manually set your memory speed, timings etc., in Bios.

To do this enter bios then go into the MB Intelligent Tweaker (MIT) heading. You are looking for the DRAM Configuration heading.
When you first enter this screen the settings will be set to AUTO you will need to change this to Manual before you can enter your own settings. However, you should note that this is regarded as overclocking (even though you are trying to run your memory at stock speed) and getting the system stable may be a process of tweaking until you find the best configuration for your hardware (check out other posts regarding this kind of problem, there are lots of them!).

If you are running a Quad core CPU then you might find some gains by using unganged memory rather than ganged mode, but it is only a slight advantage.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 10:33:53 am by absic115 »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.