Official GIGABYTE Forum

6 short beeps on motherboard ga-z77x-ud5h at POST

6 short beeps on motherboard ga-z77x-ud5h at POST
« on: December 25, 2013, 08:01:56 pm »
Hi All

Im new to this forum so let me greet you all with my first problem

The motherboard GA-z77x-ud5h gives 6 continuous short beeps then restarts after a while, three times of same loop then nothing happens, anybody experienced same problem before?

BR

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: 6 short beeps on motherboard ga-z77x-ud5h at POST
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 01:51:13 am »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 08:43:56 am »
Hi dmdilks

what is AMI? and if this error code relates to my problem, how can i solve the keyboard error? please note there is another indication about continuous short beeps which im likely to understand because the machine doesnt work although the keyboard is disconnected?

in same page the continuous short beeps (and i dont know how much beeps they are)

I have opened a ticket support with gigabyte and will update you once there is any update

BR

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 09:08:31 am »
Hi there,

you don't really give us very much to go on and it would be really useful if you could post back with your full system specifications such as: motherboard revision, CPU, Memory modules, GPU, PSU etc.

Also, is this a new build or has the PC been working and developed this fault ?

AMI BIOS is the version normally used with UEFI Motherboards and stands for American Mega Industries whereas the Award BIOS is usually found on older motherboards.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 10:06:48 am »
Hi Absic

Thank you for your info

Machine specs as follows

MB: GA-Z77x-UD5h Rev 1.1 BIOS Ver F14
Memory 2400 Mhz Gskill TridentX 16 GB
CPU: intel i7 3770K 3.5 Ghz overclocking to 4.3 Ghz
GPU embedded intel 4000
PSU A660-CGR-B3-660 -Cougar 660Watt

The machine was working fine 6 months ago until 2 days ago. then im facing this problem.

Thanks

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 10:33:13 am »
As a matter of interest, have you tried using the backup BIOS to see if the system will BOOT properly?
You can do this by using the BIOS switch on the motherboard but make sure you have powered down BEFORE flicking the switch.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 07:34:52 pm »
Hello Absic

I have investigated what you suggested, the Backup bios works up ending with pic 1 "Reboot and select proper boot device".

i checked the debug codes that appear in normal mode it is numbered 15 like pic 2

Best Regards

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 08:12:19 pm »
The other bios has to be setup so it will boot to the OS. Go into the bios and in BIOS Features make sure it is booting to the drive that you have windows on.

If it still does the same thing you will have to boot up on your windows disk and do a repair.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 08:14:06 pm by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 08:40:22 pm »
As dmdilks says you will need to setup BIOS to get the system to BOOT from the proper Hard drive.

But before you do that and before you go any further, it would be a good idea to try and find out why the primary BIOS is failing to work properly or you could end up in a situation where BOTH BIOS chips fail to BOOT the system.

When the system failed to start up did you try clearing CMOS to return the motherboard to its default settings? If not, it might be a good idea to do this but be careful and remember to put the BIOS switch back to the Main BIOS before doing anything or you may not be able to get the board started again. Hopefully, clearing CMOS will enable you to get the board posting with the primary BIOS but if it doesn't then I would recommend flashing the backup BIOS to the main BIOS chip.

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 08:01:02 pm »
Hi dmdilks and absic

I tried your suggestion, when im in Backup BIOS i can move no more than the following appearing pictures

and

these pictures where appearing when i boot from the installation disk, if i try to boot from safe mode i face these pictures again, is there a command prompt that can be entered to force repair the windows 8.1 installation?

when i return to boot from main BIOS, the first error 15 appears and in my first post

BTW, can i have the proper instructions to do the BIOS flashing to main one before surrendering my MB to the service center?  ;D

Thank you for your help

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 08:37:16 pm »
To copy the Backup BIOS to the Main BIOS shutdown the PC completely.
Power up the PC and press the "Ctrl" + "F12" simultaneously, in the same way you would press the "Del" key to go into BIOS.
If you are using a USB Keyboard it may take several attempts of shutting down the PC and restarting before the keystrokes are recognised and, if possible, it is better to use a PS/2 keyboard for doing this.
Once the keystrokes have been recognised the Monitor will go black (as if it is going through the POST process but you will get a message about copying the Backup BIOS to the Main BIOS chip. Follow the onscreen prompts to complete this process.
DO NOT power down or disconnect the PC whilst the copying process is taking place.
Once completed, power down the PC completely before restarting.

As for the problem with starting Windows 8.1 the only way you can recover this situation is to have a bootable Windows 8.1 DVD or USB pendrive to run the necessary repairs. If you don't have these then I'm afraid it will require a reinstall of the OS.

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 06:10:16 pm »
Hi Absic

I tried to press Ctrl + F12 in both Main and backup BIOS, none of them gave an action. however, im feeling blessed to send you this mesage while im in the backup mode. feeling like survived  ::)

is there an option to reflash main bios while im in this backup mode and in Windows? im having Windows 8.1

BR