Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z87X- UD4H Wake on Lan Feature?

Z87X- UD4H Wake on Lan Feature?
« on: January 10, 2014, 06:43:07 am »
does anyone know if this motherboard supports wake on lan from a complete shutdown? i have the feature enabled in the bios and on my NIC properties card.  i have fast startup disabled as well on windows 8.1.  I can get the computer to wake up from sleep mode but not a complete shutdown.  Also noticed that when the computer is shutdown the NIC card lights are dead, but in sleep mode they are lit.  Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

Re: Z87X- UD4H Wake on Lan Feature?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 12:15:17 pm »
i found this bit of information on the web:

"Windows 8:  In Windows 8, the default shutdown behavior puts the system into hybrid shutdown (S4) and all devices are put into D3. Remote wake from hybrid shutdown (S4) or classic shutdown (S5) is completely unsupported. In Windows 8, NICs are explicitly not armed for wake in both the classic shutdown (S5) and hybrid shutdown (S4) cases because users expect zero power consumption and battery drain in the shutdown state. This behavior removes the possibility of spurious wakes when explicit shutdown was requested. As a result, Wake-On-LAN is only ever supported from sleep (S3) or hibernate (S4) in Windows 8."

i guess its not possible to WOL from a shutdown state in windows 8 or 8.1?

Lee

Re: Z87X- UD4H Wake on Lan Feature?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 06:37:36 pm »
I have the UD3H and win 8.1 and can wake from a complete shutdown via WOL.

Have you checked the settings on the network card to ensure WOL is enabled and the "allow turn off to save power" is disabled?