Official GIGABYTE Forum

Need help with GA-MA785GT-UD3H and ram placement

igod

Need help with GA-MA785GT-UD3H and ram placement
« on: March 08, 2010, 12:59:15 pm »
Hi, Ive just built a system using GA-MA785GT-UD3H and I placed my dual ram sticks in sockets 1 and 2 according to the manual and the colour coding. My lcd wasnt getting any signal and I could only turn off at the powerpoint.  After an hour or more of trying to fix things I found my system would work if I placed my ram in sockets 1 and 3 or 4. Now the manual also states - The four DDR3 memory slots are divided into two channels and each channel has to memory sockets as following

>> Channel 0: DDR3_1, DDR3_3
>> Channel 1: DDR3_2, DDR3_4

So can someone please inform me is my board faulty and needing to be replaced, or for dual channel to work the memory sticks need to be placed in sockets 1 and 3. Thankyou for any help that you can provide.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Need help with GA-MA785GT-UD3H and ram placement
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 01:36:56 pm »
Hi if you are using two sticks of RAM they should be placed in either DDR3_1 & DDR3_2 or into slots DDR3_3 & DDR3_4

Have you checked that your memory is supported by this motherboard? Is it on the QV list?

If possible could you post a few more details as to the components that you are using, Motherboard revision number, CPU, RAM (type and manufacturer), GPU etc., as this will all help if you are still having issues.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 01:37:48 pm by absic115 »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

igod

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:04:26 pm »
Sorry for the late reply Im in Aus and just got up. So the details of my build are
mobo - GA-MA785GT-UD3H v1.1
cpu - amd 955be
ram - G.skill ripjaw DDR3 2x2 1333
gpu - onboard
psu - seasonic seriesX 650w
case - lancool k60
Im still not able to run the system in slots 1 and 2, only in 1 and 3 and whats more not at all in 3 and 4.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 07:55:45 am »
Sorry to be a pain but a few more questions for you.

When you boot up are you getting any post beeps from the mobo to indicate an error? (1 long beep 1 short beep indicates a mobo or memory error). Page 96 of your manual will tell you what the post beeps mean
Have you tried checking the RAM sticks 1 at a time in each individual socket? (A long and boring process but can help eliminate or find errors)
If you have made changes to bios, have you tried going back to optimised defaults?
Can you give exact details for your RAM. (It's hard to check required voltages and timings with details you have supplied and this could be the root cause of your problems)
When you say you are getting nothing on your LCD, are you talking about your monitor not coming on during post?

I know that this is frustrating but as with all things involving computers it is often a process of elimination when trying to track down the problem. What I stated in my early post, is correct regarding memory placement (When using two sticks of RAM they should be placed in either DDR3_1 & DDR3_2 or into slots DDR3_3 & DDR3_4). With slots 1 & 2 being recommended.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.