Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H81M-D2V RAM slot issues + suspected bent pins

GA-H81M-D2V RAM slot issues + suspected bent pins
« on: January 19, 2014, 07:32:30 am »
Hello all.

A week ago I helped an acquaintance of mine to build a new gaming rig. Nothing too fancy, no OC, only new parts. It loks like this:

- i5 4440 CPU
- GA-H81M-D2V MB
- Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 (2x4GB) RAM
- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 OC WindForce 3X 2GB (GV-N760OC-2GD) GPU
- WD10EZEX Caviar Blue 1TB HDD
- Sirtec - High Power Element PLUS 500W PSU
- Delux ME879 case

He lives  in a different city and has zero computer skills, so he asked someone else to put the parts together.

Sadly, something went wrong, and the system failed to display anything with both RAM modules inserted (looks like it posts, but nothing is displayed). With only one module, it worked fine for a while, but then the BSODs started. Knowing about the apparently-defective RAM slot (at that time I didn't know that "it looks like it posts, but nothing is displayed"; he told me that it doesn't post at all), I was stupid enough not to ask him to send the minidumps to me, so no extra info here :(

I told him to send the MB back to be replaced, and he did just that. The service department claimed that they found one or more bent pins, but he swears the pins were straight when he sent the MB. Knowing how hard it is to notice one or more bent pins and not knowing at all the person that assembled the PC, I only partially believe him.

Me being an engineering zero, here's the question: is it possible that all the troubles (the apparently defective RAM slot and BSODs) were caused by the bent pin(s)? I know that the memory controller is inside the CPU, so I guess it's possible, but I need to be sure.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:51:23 am by baltzatu »
Moo... or something...

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-H81M-D2V RAM slot issues + suspected bent pins
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 03:39:55 pm »
Yes that would be the cause. I got used mother board one time and did the same thing. I tried everything from changing the CPU memory & video card.

I thought I got screw with this board. I email the guy on eBay to ask if he had any problems. He emails me back and said check to make sure you don't have a bent pin.

You got it there was a pin that was bent over another one and I was able to fix it. Put the CPU in and till this day it is still running. So yes bent pins can cause many problems.Will they fix it because if you have bent pins that takes it out of warranty as they say.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:41:08 pm by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Re: GA-H81M-D2V RAM slot issues + suspected bent pins
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 04:37:56 pm »
Thank you, Dmdilks. These are the times I hate being right... :(
Moo... or something...