Official GIGABYTE Forum

Willing to buy EP45 UD3L - are these RAM sticks OK for that board?

NdR

Hi and hello. I am a Asus Striker II NSE user, but have to replace it to something more stable. EP45 UD3L is the choice. Since Asus board is not very memory friendly (thus unstable) I would like to ask the more experienced people here about the RAM sticks of my choice.
I am considering one of these:
OCZ 6GB DDR3 1600 Reaper CL7-7-7-24 (OCZ3RPR1600LV6GK) - is on Qualified Vendors List
OCZ 6GB DDR3 1600 Platinum CL7-7-7-24  (OCZ3P1600LV6GK)
Corsair DOMINATOR 6GB, 1600MHz DDR3, CL7-7-7-20 (TR3X6G1600C7D) - My favorite on the list - TR3X3G1600C8D is on Qualified Vendors List
Corsair XMS3 3x2GB, 1600MHz DDR3, CL7-7-7-20 (TR3X6G1600C7)

Should I expect any problems?
Many thanks

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Willing to buy EP45 UD3L - are these RAM sticks OK for that board?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 07:37:38 am »
Hi there, can you post exact Mobo model number that you are thinking of getting as checking out the model number you have posted, it seems to me that mobo will only suppport DDR2 memory not DDR3 (unless I am looking at wrong board) and the DDR3 memory you are looking at won't work in it.

Once that situation is clarified then, It is a safe bet that If the sticks of RAM you are thinking of are on the QV list then it is a pretty safe bet they will be OK and it comes down to what's available, cost and personal choice. (I tend to use Corsair memmory as I have had no issues with it in over 100 builds)

The biggest issue with any of the faster memory is the fact that you are likely to have to set timings and voltage manually, in bios,  to achieve the rated speed.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

NdR

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 08:56:46 am »
Hi! You're right. There is too many similar-named GigaByte motherboards, easy to confuse.
So, there's a mistake in topic. The model is GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5.
There is no possibility to change the topic unfortunately.

Setting the correct timings in BIOS in not a problem. At ASUS board, even the voltage has to be set manually, and the biggest issue is regular freeze with sound loops.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 09:15:36 am »
Hi, yes the memory you are looking at should be OK.

Be careful when installing it on to the MOBO as you are looking at 3 channel rather than dual channel configuration. (When enabling 3 Channel mode with three memory modules, be sure to install them in the
DDR3_1, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5 sockets
)

Also to set the timings, volts, etc., you need to use the MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) in bios which is the first heading on the home bios screen.

Good luck!
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

NdR

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 10:06:11 am »
Hi, yes the memory you are looking at should be OK.

Good to hear that. Last Year with Asus was the pain in the neck

Be careful when installing it on to the MOBO as you are looking at 3 channel rather than dual channel configuration. (When enabling 3 Channel mode with three memory modules, be sure to install them in the
DDR3_1, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5 sockets
)

I know that. It will be most probably used with Win7 64bit, so 3x1GB will be not too much

Also to set the timings, volts, etc., you need to use the MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) in bios which is the first heading on the home bios screen.

You mean manually, right? Should be no problem, since there are all parameters (CL's, voltage) on the manufacturer's WWW.
Will this also be needed for NB/SB or other MoBo voltages?

Many thanks for help!

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 10:12:31 am »
Yes you use MIT to adjust all these settings.