Official GIGABYTE Forum

USB2 not working on GA-970A-DS3P motherboard with 64bit ubuntu

USB2 not working on GA-970A-DS3P motherboard with 64bit ubuntu
« on: January 29, 2014, 03:31:49 pm »
I recently bought a GA-970A-DS3P motherboard. I'm trying to install a 64bit OS (tried kubuntu 12.04 and 13.10) and none of the USB2 ports are working. They work fine on 32bit kubuntu 13.10, and they work fine during boot (eg USB keyboard for navigating the bios) but once the 64bit OS is loaded they stop working, while the USB3 ports still work. Has anyone had this problem, or know how I might fix it?

Thanks

CJ Spirit Medium

• This is Me
    • My Facebook Page...
Re: USB2 not working on GA-970A-DS3P motherboard with 64bit ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 04:25:51 pm »
It seems  to me that the 64Bit Operating System your trying to install is not compatable with your motherboards specifications list....secondly, with regard to your USB ports not working, are they like "an add-on" type where you can just slot the board into a PCI port (the machine's OS will then automatically search for the right driver and install it automatically), or is it one that's already fitted onto the motherboard itself ?

Check the motherboards specifications list as to what operating systems it can take, because I bought a gigabyte motherboard at the start of 2012 only to find out that when windows 8 was released the following October, twitter refused to run, and caused a "hang-up", which mean't then that the board was NOT windows 8 compatible, and that I needed to do a complete and brand new system creation using a board that was...

So check your specification list first, then check the compatability for your USB in relation to both your motherboard AND your Operating System...

Chris...

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 05:07:38 pm »
As well as the USB2 not working (the USB is on the montherboard, not a card), I was also unable to connect to the internet either wirelessly (PCI card) or wired (motherboard).

After reading some online forums (mainly this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2114055) I tried enabling IOMMU in the bios, and this has fixed my networking and USB2 problems, however now I have the opposite problem of my USB3 not working.

CJ Spirit Medium

• This is Me
    • My Facebook Page...
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 10:02:38 am »
It seems to me that you have a complex and difficult issue to try and fix...

Check hardware compatability issues...

Check hardware software compatability issues...

Check hardware driver version numbers and compatability issues...

Is the operating system you are using fully legal and fully registered in your name, check it's not a pirate copy and that it's NOT been tweaked or tampered with in any way...

Check your hardware's registration details

Look for any missing components off your motherboard, if 1 component is not working or is damaged or looks to have been stuck on with a cheap glue, then   DO NOT USE YOUR MOTHERBOARD, SEND IT BACK TO THE PLACE YOU BOUGHT IT FROM WITH A LETTER OF COMPLAINT, AND A PHOTO OF THE DAMAGED AREA...

Check these options are all TRUE and then come back to me...

Chris....