Official GIGABYTE Forum

Dual Bios iniciate without a reason

Re: Dual Bios iniciate without a reason
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 01:20:06 pm »
Just push the button and let go

I know to push the button and let it go  :D. I did that as a test, didn't know what would happen...

When you hold in the power button that is one step you use to reset the bios.

Never heard of ...
How do you know that? Where from?
I have looked through the BIOS settings and found no info on that.

What is more, I have another computer with GigaByte MOBO from 2009 and it just turns off when holding the power button. So, how do you know that? How do you know that a number of GigaByte's motherboards use DualBios after holding the power buttom?

???

To be precise, I take the following steps
1. The computer is off
2. I push and hold the power button
3. The diodes blink and comp. shuts down after a few seconds (4 or 5)
4. I push the power button to start the comp.
5. The diodes blink for a few seconds and comp. shuts down
6. I push the power button to start the comp. again
7. The dualbios message comes up: The main bios is corrupted. The system will be recovered from the back up bios [...]

This only happens while using the computer in question. The other one that I have with GigaByte motherboard just turns off and do not recover the bios.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 02:01:17 pm by versatile »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 03:16:32 pm »
That was put up here many times that if push in the power button. Hold the button in at start up.

Till the computer started & shut down it could reset the bios. Now what you said that you are doing to shut down the computer.

That is something different. I have shut down many computers that way and never have that happen.

I have to laugh at what you said about the book. Years ago the book would tell you everything. Today it is a joke what is in the book.

If it is doing it when you trying to shut it down. Then you have something wrong with the bios. I would be talking to the people where I got or Gigabyte support. 
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Coral

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 05:38:26 pm »
If you are not getting any beeps at all, then it is very much probable that the BOBO is faulty. A common fault could be a capacitor that is produceing an intermittent spike. Whaever it is, I am shure that the board is difctive.

If you havn't done it; remove all the additional boards which you have installed. Just leave 1 stick of RAM to test and try again. If it happens again change the stick and try again. Untill you have tested all the RAM individually. If it happens again, take the MOBO back.

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 08:46:14 pm »
That was put up here many times that if push in the power button. Hold the button in at start up.

Till the computer started & shut down it could reset the bios. 

never heard of. Would you mind showing one?

dmdilks

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:16:24 pm by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 10:01:37 pm »
@dmdilks

seems you are right. But it is not a clever solution. If the button gets stuck the bios loads the backup version! Weird. I have an old case and If push the button strongly forward it may get stuck.

What is more, it says 'The main bios is corrupted. The system will be recovered from ...'. It is not true because the main bios is not corrupted, it is fine, I just kept the power button too long and it is loading the backup bios.

Lousy solution, correct?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:19:41 pm by versatile »

dmdilks

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 10:42:07 pm »
If you are having problems with the power button does it have reset button on the case too.

Just use the reset button for the power button if you can. They both work the same.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 05:36:35 pm »
When you hold in the power button that is one step you use to reset the bios. Just push the button and let go.

Is this a Gigabyte MOBO feature ?  I have never came across this before.
Holding the power button more than 4 seconds (if set in the bios) shoud just turn off your machine. You normally do this when you are locked and have no other option to turn your machine off.
It could be that doing a forced reset causes the dualbios to "think" that the primary bios has been corupted. Please consider this as a thought not a diagnosis.
I would suggest to turn off the PC in the normal way. If you experince this behaviour for no apparent reason, it is likely that the board is defective.

Coral,
I tend to agree with your statements.  

In my experience I have seen 2 options for Power Button Operation in the majority of BIOS'

1. Power Off After 4 sec
2. Power Off Immediately

However, Since I don't have a Gigabyte based board yet, I'm not certain of their implementation.

The board I'm considering has switches to control which BIOS the board will start from.  I assumed all of them worked this way, but later found that earlier models with 67, 61, 58 series chipsets for example have dual BIOS, but no switches to designate which BIOS the board will use to start.  

I'm deferring to you and dmdilks in this case as I have no way to verify operation.  I assume this is documented somewhere?  dmdilks has a great deal of experience with these boards for sure.    
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:40:36 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

dmdilks

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 10:57:01 pm »

The board I'm considering has switches to control which BIOS the board will start from.  I assumed all of them worked this way, but later found that earlier models with 67, 61, 58 series chipsets for example have dual BIOS, but no switches to designate which BIOS the board will use to start.  

Yes not all the board have a bios switch. I wish they did because I have a Evga board that does. It has 3 bios and the #1 was corrupt.

I Had to load windows on the 2nd bios to fix it. Once I got into windows I switch the bios from 2 to 1 and then updated the bios.

Now all 3 bios on this Evga board are working again. That is a really nice feature too. I don't think that is written in stone about the power button.

I think it is a 50 / 50 chance to get the backup bios to think the main bios is corrupt. There is some people that can't get it work.