Official GIGABYTE Forum

How to install Windows 7 to SATA drive on GA-790FXTA-UD5? Need drivers on USB

thx1138

Prelude: I created this thread to help someone else who brought up their issue in an unrelated thread of my own. I may or may not have the solution to their problem, but I will try to help and in any case, I didn't want my thread (and it's unsolved problem) to go off topic.

Hello thx1138 !
Yesterday I have build my new PC ! my RAM seems to be good ! my problem is the sata hdd ! I see the wdc 500 go in the bios but I can't installing windows 7 on it !i have put the driver on usb key and nothing ! I don't understand the sata technology !  my configuration is the same like you except the psu is a TX650w corsair and certainly the hdd, my hdd is a western digital caviar black 500go sata II buffer 32mo .
Thanks to give me some help !

I'm using a MAXTOR STM3500320AS for my Windows system disk. If I remember correctly, installing Windows 7 was really easy when I was not using the motherboard's built-in RAID controller (the AMD SB750). When I created a RAID array however, even though the system disk was not a part of that RAID array, I had to put the drivers for the RAID controller for that array onto my USB stick in order for Windows 7 to be able to install to the SATA drive. To get the correct drivers, I went to the following directory on the motherboard driver CD:

E:\BootDrv\SB7xx

What you do now depends on which version of Windows 7 you want to install. If you want to install the 64-bit version, browse to:

E:\BootDrv\SB7xx\x64

If you want to install the 32-bit version, browse to:

E:\BootDrv\SB7xx\x86

Now copy all the files from the appropriate directory to your USB stick (I ensured that my USB stick had nothing else on it).

This USB stick should now contain the files you need to install Windows 7. Apologies, if you meant something else!
Mainboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
CPU: Intel i7 6700, Stock HSF, Undervolt Offset -0.15 V, LLC 4
RAM: Corsair LPX Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4-3000 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)
Graphics: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 w/ 2GB
Sys Drive: Samsung Evo 750 SSD, 250GB
PSU: XFX TS 750W (P1-750S-NLB9)

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
If you are still having issues after you have tried the advice from thx1138, you might want to check out your hard drive.

I have recently encountered a lot of issues with the Western Digital Caviar Black drives and, in particular the 500 gig model. If possible can you try another HDD?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.