Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-j1800N boot problems

Robpl

GA-j1800N boot problems
« on: March 14, 2014, 03:39:42 pm »
Hi, Just bought one of the new GA-J1800 motherboards and am experiencing a few boot problems. First up it does boot up, but only either into the BIOS set up screen (on pressing escape) or into the built in EFI Shell (version 2.31).

in the BIOS I've got the SATA set to AHCI mode and I can see my HDD listed under Port 0. I've already got Win-8.1 installed on that drive as this is a Mobo replacement. So far so good.

Now the problem. Go to the Boot set up screen and under boot option priorities are just two options. One is the Sandisk Cruzer USB stick that I want to boot from (that is boot enabled - I've checked this by booting up on several machines with it) shown as UEFI: Sandisk Cruzer Edge 8.02. The second is listed as UEIF: Built-in EFI shell. Now the thing is that even if you disable the Built-in boot option it still won't boot into the Cruzer and why isn't the HDD showing either?

On to the Save and Exit screen and there is a line called Boot OverRide, and guess what? That's set to the Built-In EFI Shell and there's no way of changing it.

At this point the manual is about as much use as a chocolate sundial in the Sahara. So how can I get it to boot from anything other than the built in shell?

TIA

Rob

Re: GA-j1800N boot problems
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 09:29:20 am »
Hi,

look here here

If you still have Bios F2, it would be better to flash F3
Gruss Misda T - about me

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 01:42:15 pm »
In the Boot Menu go to the Hard Drive BBS Priorities and make sure your HHD is first.

Hard Drive BBS Priorities

Hard Drive/CD/DVD ROM Drive/Floppy Drive/Network Device BBS Priorities
Specifies   the   boot   order   for   a   specific   device   type,   such   as   hard   drives,   optical   drives,   floppy   disk   drives,   
and devices that support Boot from LAN function, etc. Press <Enter> on this item to enter the submenu that
presents the devices of the same type that are connected. This item is present only if at least one device
for this type is installed.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 02:53:56 pm »

With the Bios F2 you have no chance to get to the BIOS.
Now For this reason also the Bios F2 was replaced by the Bios F3.

To flash the BIOS F3, you must first install Windows8.1, and then fed into the long UEFI.

Another route to the Bios F2 is not known to me ...
Gruss Misda T - about me