Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z87X-UD3H - No video from DVI-D port in BIOS, but boots fine in Windows

diokan

Hello,

I have a brand new GA-Z87X-UD3H, Windows 7 64-bit, i7-4770K,  16 GB ram system that boots fine (using just the Intel HD 4600 graphics) into Windows using a display connected by the DVI-D port.

However, when I boot into the BIOS, i hear the system beep and my display goes into sleep mode.  Just a black screen.  If  I unplug the DVI-D display and plug in an old display to the D-Sub port, the BIOS comes up immediately (it was there all along, I just couldn't see it).   

Booting into BIOS without the DVI-D monitor plugged in, then plugging it in doesn't work.  I updated to BIOS F8 to see if that would help but it acts the same, even with the factory defaults loaded.

Windows boots fine on the DVI-D monitor.  It's as if hitting DEL on the keyboard kills the video signal to my DVI-D display.  Any ideas what this could be? ??? :-\

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
These two setting are set to boot at the same time. Maybe their are fighting each other. Try setting it to IGFX first boot. Then change the Internal Graphics from Auto to Enabled.

Init Display First
Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI graphics card, PCI Express graphics
card or the onboard graphics.
IGFX Sets the onboard graphics as the first display.
PCIe 1 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX16 slot as the first display. (Default)

Internal Graphics
Enables or disables the onboard graphics function. (Default: Auto)

On this one I don't if you disable this one too. That is some thing you will have to try.

PCIE Slot Configuration
Specifies the operating bandwidth for the PCIEX4 slot.
Auto Lets the BIOS automatically configure this setting depending on the expansion card being
installed. (Default)
Specifies the operating bandwidth for the PCIEX4 slot.
Auto Lets the BIOS automatically configure this setting depending on the expansion card being
installed. (Default)
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

diokan

Thanks for the reply. I just tried that, but it didn't' work. 

I've spend about 20 minutes, playing with the BIOS  settings...and I think I have figured out what it is .   At some point i remember setting the Intel Processor Graphics memory from the default 64MB to 1024 MB.  At some point after that, no video in BIOS to the DVI-D port.

After upgrading to the BIOS F9, I switched the video memory back to 64 MB, just to see.  And it worked!  I notice when I'm in Dashboard View in the BIOS it only lets me select a memory value up to 448 MB, which will still boot video to the DVI-D port.  If I go into Classic mode, I can select up to1024 MB (having the steps for 512, & 1024 available there).

I have set the video memory up, step by step, rebooting each time, back up to 1024MB and I still have working video on the DVI-D port.

Why would that be?   ;D ???

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
I was going to put that in my post that you don't mess with that. That setting is there but you don't change it.

It will change on it's own when you need the memory. When are doing gaming or something you need more memory.

Why they even have that in there I don't know. Everybody that has tried to change that has run into problems.

Click on start button / Accessories / system tools / system info. On the left hand side click on components / Display.

In there it will tell you how much graphics memory size you are running. 
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.