Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3, 4 beeps on startup after installing new GeForce GTX 760

kckfm

Hi all,

PC Configuration

1. Motherboard: GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3850#ov
2. RAM 16GB: Kingston HyperX Blu (2x8GB)
3. Processor: Intel i7-2600K CPU@ 3.40GHz  3.80GHz
4. SSD 256GB - INTEL SSDSC2CW240A3
5. HDD 1TB - Hitachi HDS721010CLA332
5. Video Card: GeForce GTX 760
6. Power Supply - Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W
7. UEFI BIOS (from the official website) http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3850#bios
8. Windows 8 x64 (latest updates)

Some Background Info

I use the PC for graphic design mainly - Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel Draw, stuff like this. Before 6 months I experienced a nasty lag on all the system , when I work in any of the programs listed more than 30-40 minutes. Restarting - all is good, after 40 mins - lag. The lag was in strange flickering on menus in programs, slow moving objects in programs, crashing Photoshop and Illustrator, crashing Nvidia drivers (tried with old ones)
Excluded the HDD (removed it from the system, still lag) and decided to take a new Video Card, just to test if the problem will gone.

The Problem

Old Video card was - GeForce GTX 560, today I replaced it with GeForce GTX 760 and following problem appeared:

1. Mounted the card and turned on the PC.
2. UEFI BiOS screen appeared (usually it beeps 1 short beep and continue)
3. It stuck on UEFI BIOS screen and beeps 4 times, beep pattern:
1st short beep, 10-20 seconds, 2nd short beep, 10-20 seconds, 3rd short beep, maybe more than 20 seconds , 4rd short beep and after that screen flicks and windows load.
4. I cannot enter the BIOS
5. Windows boot normally and everything else is normal, the lag problem I have experienced is gone, just these beeps on start and disability to enter BIOS.
6. Problem appeared after I mounted the new video card GeForce GTX 760

What I have tried (googling):

1. Reset RAM
2. Tried with only 1 of the RAM sticks (tried with each of them)
3. Tried rearrange RAM sticks to different slots (have 4 slots)
4. Reset Video Card
5. Plug Video Card to another slot
6. Reinstall fresh latest Video Card Drivers.
7. Remove the RAM And the BIOS battery, wait a bit and plug them again.
8. Change BIOS battery with new one.

Please help.

Thanks!
SK
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:03:47 pm by kckfm »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3, 4 beeps on startup after installing new GeForce GTX 760
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 01:56:30 am »
I would put in the old card and get into the bios. Now I don't know if the bios has it in there but look to see if the PCIe slots can be set to UEFI.

I know you might not want to here this. But you already have 3 strikes against you. The first two CPU & MB don't support a 3.0 card.

The last one is that the board wasn't really made for the UEFI bios. I have read a lot of people having problems with that bios.

But the thing is you are up and running without any real problems, other trying to get into the bios. Like I said see if the PCIe slot can be change to UEFI.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Had the exact problem, I downloaded Gigabyte's @Bios software, and updated the BIOS from WINDOWS which I was somehow able to load after said three beeps. The card works fine now.