Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD7 Rev. 2.0 Buzzer connector silent, is it a bios setting or hw damage?

DeInit

Greetings all.

I've had the mobo in the subject for close to 5 years and...well can't say it hasn't had its share of issues, it's a tricky beast.
The current issue of concern is the part of the FN_PANEL connector ensemble that should be connected to an internal speaker (as in buzzer). My case, a Silverstone Fortress FT01, does not have a speaker, so wondering about possible bios message beeps at startup, I sought to buy one, and actually got a 30 pack for 3 GBP. However, connecting one to the mobo does not produce any kind of beep at startup. I also can' test it while running because I have a PCI soundblaster installed which takes over buzzer output under Windows.

I have, however, verified that the speakers I purchased do in fact work, as I've plugged them into a H61MA-D2V board on a PC at work, and beeps are clearly audible through it at appropriate times (and, naturally, not audible when no buzzer is connected to it).

So I'm wondering, is this a setting? I normally have the Azalia codec disabled because of the aforementioned Soundblaster card, but it doesn't seem that enabling it changes anything.

It may not sound (haha) like a big deal but considering the system does use the buzzer to report crucial issues I'd like to find out if I can get it to work or not.

Any input is appreciated.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi there,

the motherboard buzzer, which usually comes with a PC case, doesn't need any BIOS settings and should work from the first time.
If you are not getting any POST beeps and you are sure the buzzer is the correct voltage and working OK, then you may have installed it the wrong way around. Make sure that the + sign on the buzzer (if it has one) goes to the + Pin on the motherboard header. If there are no indicating marks on the buzzer then usually the red wire = + and the black wire = -
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

DeInit

Thank you for your reply. I was under the impression that the buzzer wasn't polarity-sensitive, but sure, I'll try to test it the other way around. I mean I recall doing it already, but maybe with another of the 30 pieces. Will update with results as soon as I test it.

DeInit

Ok, so according to the the board manual on Page 33, leftmost pin for the speaker section of the F_PANEL connector is + and rightmost is -.

As shown in this photo, the buzzer is connected properly, and like I said, I've tested this particular buzzer on another board and it works, so I guess I have a mobo issue.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Just had a thought, do you have Quick BOOT enabled in BIOS?

If it is enabled this can sometimes stop the buzzer from working.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

DeInit

Yes, I have quick boot enabled. Yes, turning it off produced the much wanted beep at startup. It also gave me a sadface BSOD by Win8.1 which returned next boot when I set quick boot back on and the time after that, when the OS enforced a system restore. I have never experienced such catastrophic results because of a slow POST with verbose details on. This motherboard really is something. Clearly, a beep on startup isn't worth this much trouble, but none the less I thank you for what I learned from this all.
Now to solve this snafu, as the system still hasn't stopped BSODing and even the bios has reverted to default settings at the last restart.