Official GIGABYTE Forum

x58a ud3r memory issue

x58a ud3r memory issue
« on: March 03, 2010, 11:45:06 pm »
Hi all,

As the title says i have been having a memory issue with my newly built PC. I have installed  6gb of OCZ 1333mhz RAM (3 sticks of 2gb), and in bios it says 4gb detected. In system it says installed memory 6gb (4gb usable).I have run cpu-z and it detects 6bg. I have tried ticking and unticking the maximum memory  box in the advanced menu in the boot tab of msconfig and had no luck. before this motherboard i have tried 2 asus p6t se motherboards and had no luck although with those the system only stated 4gb installed. I cant find a memory remap feature within the bios. Inside the bios the clock speeds of the RAM are down also, should be 1333mhz but it says 10xxmhz. i have searched google and found this problem many times but with other peoples problems they say the bios detects the correct amount of installed RAM but only windows dosent but within my bios it only says 4gb instead of 6gb. someone has also stated that it could be a bent pin within either the processor or the processor slot. i am unsure wether to flash the bios as i have read many times it makes no difference.

Edit: forgot to mention i have installed 1 stick of RAM at a time, in order to rule out faulty sticks.

any advice would be much appreciated
thanks in advance
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:47:54 pm by mainmanz »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: x58a ud3r memory issue
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 09:13:44 am »
Hi there, not sure what BIOS you are at but have noticed that F3 is for enhanced memory capatability so if you are not at F3 or F4 it might be worth flashing bios. Here's the link:
http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=3305

Also, a rather dumb question but......., you are putting the memory sticks into the correct slots on the Mobo. In 3 channel configuration (which you are trying to use) they need to go into slots DDR3_1, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5. (check page 16 of the manual for configuration).
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 11:10:11 am »
thanks for the link,

im going to flash the bios later on and try the memory update.
btw, yes i have the memory in correct slots, followed the instructions in the manual.
another thing i didnt mention in original post is that the bios screen is the wrong resolution, its too big vertically and way to far to the right, i have tried using the controls on my monitor but cant get it centre. I cant find any option within the bios to change this. Would a bios update fix this ?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 01:29:10 pm »
To be honest it might not but no harm in trying!
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 01:52:26 pm »
i have successfully updated the bios to version F4, but it has not fixed my memory issue. After more research it appears i am left with 2 more options that i have not tried yet. after speaking with the supplier he advised me to higher the voltage to the RAM. It needs 1.65v but is currently running at 1.50v. Have looked inside the manual but the extreme memory profile option which allows me to do this is not supported by my memory so i cant cant change the voltage. The other option is to check the pins on the processor to see if any are bent, as i have been told this can cause the problem too.

thanks for any input

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 03:33:36 pm »
The memory voltage option should be under the M.I.T section.
There's no place like ::1

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 11:25:38 pm »
hi oggmonster

I have looked in there but the option to change the voltage is greyed out and there should be an option called somthing like extreme memory profilling, and when that is enabled it unlocks the memory voltage options. Have searched my motherboard manual and it says it might not appear if its not supported by my memory.I Have checked the qualified vendor list before purchasing, so i know the problem is nothing to do with compatibility between the components. I have also reseated the processor multiple times with varying levels of pressure to rule out that being the problem and i have also checked the slot for bent pins as some other people have had when having this problem. Im really lost as to what could be causing this problem,

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 07:40:07 am »
I think that you should be able to alter your other settings even if extreme memory profiling is not available.
Have you made sure that you are not still in AUTO mode?
Adjusting voltage for the memory is made in the Advanced Voltage Control section of bios. (Your Mobo manual, page 44)