Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte X58-UD5 two ATI HD 5450 PCIE cards do not work same time

I have Gigabyte x58-ud5 MB with two Gigabyte ATI HD 5450 pcie cards in PCIE1 and PCIE2 slots. My problem is that when I put both of them in and boot the MB, it posts but from only PCIE1 (only monitor attached to monitor 1 comes up).

I tried several different combinations:

1. Interchange the PCIE cards (both of them are working good)
2. Change the first display option to PCIE2 in BIOS (when I do this monitor attached to PCIE2 comes up but PCIE1 monitor doesn't come up)

I was wondering how to get the display from both the cards at the same time.

My config is:

Core i7 920
Gigabyte X58-UD5
2XGigabyte ATI HD 5450
3X2GB OCZ OCZ3G1600LV6GK DDR3 1600MHz
Thermaltake 850W
Arctic Freezer Pro Rev.2 Cooler
Antec 900 2 Case
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:59:10 pm by dealove »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Gigabyte X58-UD5 two ATI HD 5450 PCIE cards do not work same time
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 07:29:53 am »
Hi there, could you give a little more detail for us?
How many monitors are you trying to use?
What OS are you running?
Are you sure the second card isn't being recognised once you have booted into your OS?

If you are trying to get your monitors to show at boot and only one is, that's pretty normal. Multi monitor mode works from within the software environment. With ATI cards, Crossfire Mode is enabled by default and to get more than one monitor working this has to be disabled first.

Assuming you are using Windows and that you have the ATI Catalyst drivers installed and that BOTH cards are being recognised in Device Manager. Right click on the desktop and go to the Catalyst Control Centre Panel. In the top left corner of the Pop-up panel is a drop down menu with the heading Graphics. Click on this and then click on the bottom heading which is for Crossfire. Untick the box and hit the apply box. Your screen will flash for several seconds as the driver re-sets itself. Then you will be able to run multi monitors..
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 08:24:45 am »
Hi there, could you give a little more detail for us?
How many monitors are you trying to use?
What OS are you running?
Are you sure the second card isn't being recognised once you have booted into your OS?

If you are trying to get your monitors to show at boot and only one is, that's pretty normal. Multi monitor mode works from within the software environment. With ATI cards, Crossfire Mode is enabled by default and to get more than one monitor working this has to be disabled first.

Assuming you are using Windows and that you have the ATI Catalyst drivers installed and that BOTH cards are being recognised in Device Manager. Right click on the desktop and go to the Catalyst Control Centre Panel. In the top left corner of the Pop-up panel is a drop down menu with the heading Graphics. Click on this and then click on the bottom heading which is for Crossfire. Untick the box and hit the apply box. Your screen will flash for several seconds as the driver re-sets itself. Then you will be able to run multi monitors..

Well, In my old computer(I am using Nvidia cards), when I start the computer, both monitors show up at boot. I do not have the OS yet. But, I was wondering if there is a way I could turn off crossfire so I can see both monitors from two cards at the same time.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:32:52 am »
Sorry, if you are trying to run one monitor from each of the graphics cards then not until you are up and running.
The only way to see both monitors at boot would be to place them on the same card.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 04:03:13 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I will install the OS and drivers then.