Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R setup problem

saleas

GA-X58A-UD3R setup problem
« on: June 28, 2014, 12:17:36 pm »
Hi there, I have a problem with my friend's computer, the specs are the following:

Motherboard: GA-X58A-UD3R rev.2
Cpu: Intel i7 950
Ram: Crucial Ballistix 12GB triple channel kit (3x4GB) not sure about the exact specs, saw in the bios that run at 1066mhz
Vga: Amd HD 7950
Storage: Adata 256gb sata III, 2x samsung 500GB sata hard disks
Drive: LG super multi DVD-RW

The problem is that my friend doesn't know much about computer hardware and i offered to help because I know some things, but I've never have such difficulty setting up a computer, his reports were freezing of the screen(mouse couldn't move and showing the circle that loads etc.) and BSOD 4-5 times a day and generally very unstable, he also reported to me that the computer was performing well for 5-6 months since the first setup, mostly for gaming, and all the strange behaviour started since the update to the latest bios..I took the computer i tried to bulid it from the start, when I opened the case I saw the exact configuration, The ssd was on the marvel controller as master along with the drive as slave, the 2 sasmung disks were on the intel controller sata2_0 and sata2_1. I didn't changed anything on the configuration nor in the bios and tried to reinstall windows, but NOTHING! I was recieving an error in the part that expands windows files, around 50-60%, tried over 5 times even with different drives or windows disks, then I started read here about the bugs and problems of this motherboard and starting the expiriments and the changes, I plugged the ssd on intel controller sata2_0 and the drive on sata2_1 and left only 4GB of ram in the first blue slot,also changed all controllers to ACHI in bios, this was the only configuration that I managed to install windows. Everything seemed to work ok after installation, installed the drivers, some programs, windows update, and started using it for 6-7 hours, I found it to be very stable, didn't saw any strange behavior, and everyhting was working quite fast and decided to give it back, so I plugged all the memories back in the slots, and the other 2 hard drives (everything on intel controller)  and gave it, after a few hours of usage my friend reported back with almost, the same problems, bsod, unstability, and freezings, I'M STARTING TO GET CRAZY, is there any recommend configuration that it will make it work, for the ram(I believe this is part of the problem), for the ssd(the other part of the problem), the hardisks and the drive, where is the right place to plug them ? also any other bios settings ??? any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance and sorry for the long post

autotech

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R setup problem
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 12:54:30 pm »
Run memtest on ram. If it installed ok and ran fine with one stick that may very well be your problem.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

saleas

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R setup problem
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 08:55:42 pm »
Run memtest on ram. If it installed ok and ran fine with one stick that may very well be your problem.

thanks for answering, plugged out the ram, left it single channel and works like a charm again, so it's the ram, the point is how can I make it work with 12gb,also did the memtest and had no errors, did it seperately for every stick of ram
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:57:35 pm by saleas »