Official GIGABYTE Forum

890GPA-UD3H rev 2.1 question! :)

890GPA-UD3H rev 2.1 question! :)
« on: July 16, 2014, 07:26:12 pm »
Please can someone who is tech savy reply to this.

I currently have this motherboard, when i bought it i was told that eventually i will be able to use a FX chip by flashing the bios, please can someone advise me if they have used an FX processor on there board or if there is any way to use a faster processor.

What is the highest speed processor that i can use as i do believe the CPU supported list on Gigabyte website is not updated?

Is this processor supported or will it work and if so how:

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Gigabyte/GA-890GPA-UD3H(rev._2.1).html

Many thanks to the potential boffins and experts who decide to help a big fan of Gigabyte.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: 890GPA-UD3H rev 2.1 question! :)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 08:23:11 pm »
Hi,

sorry to tell you but the Rev 2.1 motherboard can not take the FX processors, even with a BIOS upgrade.

The fastest CPU you could use on this motherboard would be the Phenom II X4 975 or the Phenom ii X6 1100T if you could get hold of one of them.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 12:04:56 pm »
Would i see any performance improvements if i upgraded my BIOS by flashing it?

I have never done this before since i bought the motherboard?

Also is there some software that will help me automatically flash the motherboard?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 01:22:59 pm »
When it comes to flashing the BIOS the old saying of: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." is really worth remembering. Usually BIOS updates allow for new CPU's to be used and to improve the ability of the motherboard to recognize newer devices such as graphic cards, hard drives, etc. When it comes to Performance improvements things can be a bit vague as some updates will help whilst others don't.

Updating BIOS is best done using the QFlash utility. If you are not sure how to do that then check the FAQ here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.0.html which goes through the process in some detail.

There is a Gigabyte Utility called @BIOS for updating the BIOS automatically but I would strongly recommend that you do not use it as it can sometimes cause more problems than it solves.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 09:21:21 pm »
The board does not run with second generation FX CPU-s even with FGc beta BIOS stated to run FX initial releases (the BIOS can be checked with a HEX editor easily ,the Orochi support exists ,but God knows for what FX CPU-s)) .
Had the board and tested with a FX 6300 ,you will see a black screen and nothing more.
You also can t mod the BIOS-es (adding more CPU support) and make it work so don t waste your time and get something else.
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150