Official GIGABYTE Forum

X58A-UD7 - Power supply on after shutdown

X58A-UD7 - Power supply on after shutdown
« on: March 09, 2010, 11:13:57 am »
First day with my new X58A-UD7 motherboard, and things have not been smooth at all.  Why does my power supply stay on after I choose shutdown in Windows 7 64bit?  I have updated to the latest F5 bios, installed all drivers from giga-bytes website, not overclocked anything in my system.  So what gives?  This is not the kind of first impressions i like to get after spending close to $400 on a so called High end motherboard.  I could really use some advise, as I am at my wits end and its only been 6hrs since I first installed it.

Thanks

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
Re: X58A-UD7 - Power supply on after shutdown
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:12:48 pm »
First day with my new X58A-UD7 motherboard, and things have not been smooth at all.  Why does my power supply stay on after I choose shutdown in Windows 7 64bit?  I have updated to the latest F5 bios, installed all drivers from giga-bytes website, not overclocked anything in my system.  So what gives?  This is not the kind of first impressions i like to get after spending close to $400 on a so called High end motherboard.  I could really use some advise, as I am at my wits end and its only been 6hrs since I first installed it.

Thanks

Hello metal

Thank you for asking. I have this board, I am reviewing it as we speak (thought I only started the day before yesterday) So I am still getting to grips with it. Although I am using windows 7 is the 32bit version. As far as power staying on afer choosing shut down, this is not usually the board bios or even the board, i suspect a driver is the casue of the issue. As you know the PSU'S are atx and all have a SOFT POWER ON/OFF system, when they OS calls to the motherboard and then tells the cpu to shut down.

What i think is happening is that there is a driver, that is confusing the o/s and not letting the o/s do its job by telling the motherboatd to shut down all the way.

Got an idea you can try,
Does your version of windows 7 have both 32/bit and 64bit versions?

Can you try installing 32bit version, install 32bit drivers and see how it goes? I know this is al ong shot, but i have SEEN this before on DFI boards, and almost alwayas its been a driver confusing the issue!

IT could be the 64bit drivers are the issue. As isaid try 32bit veriosn if you can and the 32bit drivers... I would install them one at a time also and shut down each time after a driver installation to test.

I could do this setup tonight for you if you wish? Since I have the same board and i have a copy of both original 32bit and 64bit win7

Please give it a go
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:14:56 pm by gilgamesh »
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 06:50:13 pm »
I do not have the 32bit version of Windows 7, only 64bit.  This is absolutly bullcrap.  Should have stuck with an EVGA motherbaord instead of this piece of crap.  Tech support is a joke. 

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 07:10:27 pm »
I do not have the 32bit version of Windows 7, only 64bit.  This is absolutly bullcrap.  Should have stuck with an EVGA motherbaord instead of this piece of crap.  Tech support is a joke. 

Theres no need to get irrate  :)

Try downloading the latest drivers for everything, motherboard ones are here http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=3251&ost=windows+7+64bit#anchor_os then obviously any graphics card, or any other hardware you're using in your machine.
There's no place like ::1

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 07:16:57 pm »
did you read my first post?  I have installed every single driver from the Gigabyte website.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 07:30:44 pm »
Is your PSU and Enermax or Silverstone by any chance?

My silverstone would short out on my UD4P and remain on even when the system should be off.

My Enermax has a safety feature which keeps it running until ALL active voltages are dismissed - only then will it turn off to allow the hardware a safer shut down. Helps prevent surges spiking your hardware.

Other possibility is your Windows 7 is NOT shutting down but sleeping / power save / hibernate instead. Check your start menu power button options menu to confirm the "shutdown button" is set to actually shutdown. Early vista used to do the similar...

~Bex

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 07:40:45 pm »
My power supply is an OCZ Z1000M brand new.  All settings in Windows 7 are set to Maximum Performance and no sleep/hibernation options are enabled.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 08:24:04 pm »
Not sure if this helps or not but had very similar problems in the early days of using Windows 7 64 bit.
The cause was actually the driver for my M-Audio Delta 1010 sound card (it took some time for M-Audio to release a working driver) and it was nothing to do with the OS, Mobo or anything hardware related.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 10:22:29 pm »
Forgive me for giving false information......my power supply does shut off, but only after a couple minutes.  I just got off the phone with OCZ Tech Support and the guy there advised me that it is completely normal, especially with the model of PSU that I have Z1000M.  He told me that the fan is linked to the temperature of the power supply and that its nothing to worry about, meaning the PSU is not overheating.  Its just a total cool down feature on the unit.  Anyone ever experience anything like this before with any power supplies?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 07:51:02 am »
 :D Don't you just love new technology!  :D

Pleased that it's sorted!
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 09:09:29 pm »
I take back everything I said about this board....IT IS AWESOME.  Everything is running SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET  ;D  I have my i7 920 D0 running at 4.2GHz 200x21 with 1.29375V core and 1.275 QPI/VTT voltage.  I have 2x110CFM fans in push-pull on a COrsair H50 and after 12hrs of Prime95 I see a max temperature of 65/66/65/65 on the 4 cores.  Pretty amazing, coming from the 790i platform.  Thanks Gigabyte :)