Official GIGABYTE Forum

Won't boot OS Goes striaght to bios Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo

Won't boot OS Goes striaght to bios Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo
« on: August 28, 2014, 10:07:20 am »
 I recently installed Windows8.1 on my SSD primary drive. I remote desktop into the machine usually, and things had been working fine for a couple of months on Win 8.1 this way. I rarely use this pc but I'd used it a couple of weeks ago maybe, it may have been hibernated the last time it was shut down, it also might have been hard set or shut down since (3 year old who likes pressing buttons..), anyway two days ago I tried to remote in and it wasn't working. I  went to inspect the machine and tried turning it on..goes straight to bios no message about OS...thought it might be the keyboard tried without but got the same. Opening the case and trying a few times it did seem to make a clicking noise in the case but I couldn't pin down exactly what was making it. I've tested the SSD (80 GB intel 320) in a disk caddy in another windows pc and run chkdsk /f on both partitions it found no errors. I can browse the files without issue as well.

I tried doing a Windows repair on the drive attached via External SATA to the caddy but Windows kept erroring on initialization (error message flicked to screen before I can read it), this was in a pc that is otherwise running linux and it's via a caddy, so I will try attaching as internal tonight.

I am using the vga out of the on board graphics and 2 ram sticks, a premium power supply and have unplugged the other hdds. Bios cpu temp is low.

Does anyone have any ideas what could have caused this machine to start ignoring the SSD and why it goes straight to bios?

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Won't boot OS Goes striaght to bios Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 03:14:09 pm »
Greetings,
This can be a difficult problem to troubleshoot without being there.

Have you tried:
-Clearing or resetting your BIOS
-Testing with different keyboard and mouse
-Replacing the MB battery 

Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 01:56:28 pm »
-Clearing or resetting your BIOS
-- yes
-Testing with different keyboard and mouse
-- tested keyboard/mouse in another pc, work fine. (don't have other ones)
-Replacing the MB battery  
-- not yet
Will also try other pcs's power supply tonight I suspect it's that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 01:57:06 pm by moconnell »

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:12:40 pm »
Tried running just the hard drive off the power supply and replacing the cmos battery, that didn't work. Since the next thing is replacing the power supply entirely, I tried taking the mouse out since that was the only thing left I hadn't tried so far. Then Windows booted. Unfortunately it won't boot again. I will try using the other power supply to power the board at the weekend but I'm not holding out much hope :-\. I've got 2 sticks of ram, maybe I'll try one at a time tomorrow but the power supply will have to wait till the weekend since it's a bit more time consuming.